Remove Android (D255)?

Discussion in 'Android' started by RogerStenning, Apr 22, 2011.

1. RogerStenning

RogerStenning

Hi, first post, and yep, did a search (several, in fact), to see if this had been broached before...

I picked up a D255 from Best Buy here in the UK the other week (200 quid, a virtual steal!), and I'm very impressed with it.

However, I'm less than impressed with Android on this machine; I'd much rather have a decent Linux Distro installed instead. Now, I've upgraded the Windows 7 starter to the Premium edition (only cost 20 quid, an offer at Best Buy in the UK, so that was cheap enough), but as mentioned above, want to replace the Android installation with a more meaty Linux distribution, such as Ubuntu, SuSE, mint,Redhat, or whatever (I've a cover disc with a shedload of different distros from Linux Format magazine a month or so back, so a try before I don't buy is on the cards writ large ;) ).

Problem is, I cannot find any decent documentation on either removing the current Android installation and partition, or on what effects it may or may not have on the Win 7 Premium installation.

Any help on the above would be gratefully received :)

Thanks in advance,

Roger

RogerStenning, Apr 22, 2011
  2. RogerStenning

RogerStenning

*bump*

Anyone?

RogerStenning, Apr 26, 2011
  3. RogerStenning

bapiah

Hi Roger,

You just need to format the Android partition and treat that partition as Linux's (format as EXT4 system), that's all. You can refer to Linux's documentation as well about how to install linux on other OS's partition. Hope it helps.

BTW, if you could backup that netbook recovery system and upload it here i would be appreciate it. I wanna try it on my D255 and see if i can make it more useful. Thank you before :)

If you need any more info please let me know.

bapiah, May 1, 2011
  4. RogerStenning

RogerStenning

Hi, thanks for the reply :)

OK, not at all sure how to go about that, but I'll have a search and see if there's a complete simpleton's instruction sheet somewhere out there :)

Um... now I've used the windows backup to back up the disc, is that the thing you're on about, or something else?

Cheers,

Roger

RogerStenning, May 1, 2011
  5. RogerStenning

bapiah

Hi Roger :)

If you're using windows you can use "Easeus Partition Master Home Edition". It's freeware but it's received lot recommedation from many computer magazines so don't be afraid to use it :) And when you're on Easeus you can easily see which one is windows' partition and which one is not, so you can delete the partition which is not Windows' partition and reformat that partition to linux's. Next step is inserting any disk or flashdisk of linux installation & boot the computer, the installation will take the rest of process needed. That's it :)

Yep, that thing is. If you use windows backup you can backup the default of acer restore partition to .iso file. After that you can easily burn that .iso to disk or flashdrive for next time.

your welcome ;)

bapiah, May 12, 2011
  6. RogerStenning

RogerStenning

Ok, thanks for that; still rather unsure about the entire process, to be honest :? , but it now transpires that my better half has a mate who's a whiz at these things (apparently a Linux expert!), so I think I better enlist some help to be there in person in case I really stuff things up, lol

Again, thanks for the assistance!

Cheers,

Roger

RogerStenning, May 13, 2011
  7. RogerStenning

bapiah

No big deal Bro :)
    As long as u can solve it wihout any cost, why not? :D

bapiah, May 17, 2011
  8. RogerStenning

RogerStenning

heh, my thinking exactly :lol: