Removed 4-panel desktop, Settings Manager is gone

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by crimsondynamo329, Mar 22, 2009.

1. crimsondynamo329

crimsondynamo329

I wanted the normal Linux desktop on my AA1, so I followed this guide to get rid of the 4-panel desktop and the search bar: http://www.techradar.com/news/mobil...our-aspire-one-linux-netbook-interface-528081
    It worked fine, but now when I right-click and pick Settings Manager, nothing happens. Also, the icon for the Settings Manager is blank in the menu. So I tried "xfce-setting-show" in Terminal, and it returned "env: xfce-mcs-manager: No such file or directory." I like the new desktop, but I also want (need?) to have the Settings Manager. I'm sure I'm missing something, can anybody help me out?
    Thanks!

Unrelated: How do I set the background for the new desktop? Setting images as background in Firefox or the image viewer has no effect.

crimsondynamo329, Mar 22, 2009
  2. crimsondynamo329

mpskentuk

I had this problem as well. There is no mention of this problem on any of the websites that show you how to get rid of the 4 panels. I guess you can't make any changes to the desktop. Even trying to change a wallpaper seems to involve typing 20 lines of code.

And Linux users take the piss of out Windows!!!!!

mpskentuk, Mar 30, 2009
  3. crimsondynamo329

[email protected]

Maybe u have a look at
    http://www.jwarburton.com/mt/tech/2009/ ... tbook.html
    This works for me.

For setting the desktop there surprisingly is a GUI
    - Right-click on your desktop (when u have ur menu back)
    - Select "Desktop settings"
    - Choose the location of ur file in the Dialog

[email protected], Apr 18, 2009
Ask a Question