Removed Firefox = No desktop

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by gunstar, Aug 23, 2009.

1. gunstar

gunstar

Hi there,

I was having some problems with the browser so I decided to remove it via add/remove. Having done this I rebooted to find that there was no longer a desktop (the screen is black apart from the bar at the bottom and the search bar at the top right). I can't even get a command line as alt f2 no longer works. My guess is that I've removed some fairly essential items along with the browser. I feel like a bit of a plum really. Anyone out there know a way to get the desktop back? I've had a search around for the install disk in case I need to start again and I can't seem to find it, just to make my life a little easier :roll:

Any help would be very much appreciated! Cheers!

gunstar, Aug 23, 2009
  2. gunstar

hanso

Can you press CTRL-ALT-DEL, see the Task manager startup and with the menu option File - New Task(run] explorer ?

Or start in Safe Mode (F8 at boot)?

Hopefully your desktop comes back, and you can use the System restore wizard (see help)

hanso, Aug 23, 2009
  3. gunstar

gunstar

Thanks for the reply hanso - I think that would work if I was running windows but I'm running fedora linux. I forgot to mention that (fairly crucial) piece of information in the original post. Thanks for the help and for taking the time to reply. Does anyone have any ideas?

gunstar, Aug 23, 2009
Ask a Question