removing .rar files

Discussion in 'Linux' started by amr27, Sep 24, 2008.

1. amr27

amr27

Hi,
    i'm used my AA1 8gb SSD OS: original linux to download some episodes of 'how i met your mother', there was 900MB left when i was done downloading, i unpacked the rar files and put the AVI files into my videos folder.
    I wanted to get rid of all the rar files wich i dind't need anymore.
    So i selected them (like 600MB) and pushed 'delete'. It took my AA1 like 10 minutes to delete and i only won 60mb of space .. how is this possible ?

don't unstand it.

Thnx BAS

amr27, Sep 24, 2008
  2. amr27

kevin

In the `Trash' folder? In the file manager to Go|Trash to see.

If you have an SD card in the storage expansion slot, it's possible that the Trash folder and the files you're deleting are on different disks. So `deleting' (i.e., putting in Trash) would actually mean copying a huge file from one SSD device to another. I'm not sure if there is a way to make Thunar delete _without_ sending to Trash. I would just do `rm' at the command line :)

kevin, Sep 24, 2008
  3. amr27

rbil

With Thunar, Shift-Del will delete a file or files selected without putting them in trash.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 24, 2008
Ask a Question