Reproducible A0751h freeze with "smooth scrolling"

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by someraisins, Oct 4, 2009.

1. someraisins

someraisins

I can get my A075h-1522 to consistently freeze when I have "smooth scrolling" enabled in my Opera web browser, I'm viewing a certain web page, and I'm causing the window to constantly redraw by doing a lot of scrolling up & down. It doesn't freeze when I disable "smooth scrolling" & do this. It's brand new, ordered from amazon.com on 9/15/2009. I'm curious if any of you out there would be willing to try this to see if it also freezes yours.

Right-click on the Task Bar and pick Task Manager
    Minimize Task Manager - we just want to be able to see how much CPU is being used
    Download the latest version of Opera here for free: http://www.opera.com/download/
    Using Opera, Go here to make sure you have Shockwave & Flash players installed. Install them if you don't: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
    Maximize the browser window
    Go to this web site: http://www.xomba.com/how_make_cheap_tap_water_filter

Load the web page. Make sure you see a banner ad at the top of this page that has flashing colors in it. If not, refresh the page until you do. Close any pop-ups that appear & click in the left-side column of the page. Use page up/down & the arrow keys to scroll up & down the page. The key is to keep the screen constantly moving & CPU at 50% (1 entire CPU core). Mine always freezes up entirely while doing this. Mouse won't move, ctrl-alt-del does nothing, caps lock light does not toggle when I press Caps Lock key, etc... I have to do a hard reboot. Sometimes it freezes right away, sometimes it takes 20-30 seconds of scrolling up/down before it freezes. But it always freezes. Once, the screen went blank also, but usually it's just a normal freeze. This is the only web page I've come across that has done this.

I also got it to freeze once via Firefox after I enabled "smooth scrolling", but I've not been able to get it to freeze again. I couldn't get it to freeze at all using IE with smooth scrolling enabled.

It still freezes if I drop the display from 32-bit to 16-bit. It does not freeze when doing this with XP booted into "VGA mode" (which still uses the GMA driver), but it also doesn't appear to use 50% CPU while scrolling - probably due to the smaller screen size & color depth.

Other system info:
    stock A0751h-1522 hardware config (2GB RAM, 250GB disk, 6-cell battery)
    Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit (I replaced Vista Basic)
    Latest BIOS & drivers - specifically, this is what is reported in device manager (downloaded from http://gd.panam.acer.com/home/ driver download site, but I also applied whatever driver updates were available via Microsoft Update):
    - Bluetooth Bus Enumerator v5.5.0.6900
    - Intel GMA 500 v6.14.11.1012
    - Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad v12.2.4.1
    - Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter v7.7.0.348
    - Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller v5.736.728.2009
    - Bluetooth Communications Port (COM3) v5.5.0.2300
    - Realtek High Definition Audio v5.10.0.5905
    - Webcam drivers wouldn't install, but webcam does work with the app from Acer's site

Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 RU5 is running on here, but it also freezes on this web page when I have all of the Symantec services stopped
    OpenOffice quick starter & Winamp agent are also running in the task tray, along with the regular driver-related stuff
    connected to internet via wireless access point using WPA2 security, but also freezes when using the ethernet port
    bluetooth is disabled via the toggle switch on the front-bottom-left

The only other time it froze was while I was attempting to make a disk image using Drive Snapshot to a mapped network drive over wireless. This was back when it still had Vista Basic on it, so I'm willing to write that one off as a random Vista problem.

I created a new user on my system just in case the freezing was specific to my profile. The same thing happens in the new profile. I've tried the same browser version & web page on my desktop machine and it does not freeze. No other web pages I've been to have frozen my netbook.

someraisins, Oct 4, 2009
  2. someraisins

c921

Sad to say, even when the netbook is idle or not running any programs it would freeze by itself.

Please check out the thread "Netbook freezes randomly"

c921, Oct 5, 2009
Ask a Question