Reset user password

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by zander30, Oct 15, 2008.

1. zander30

zander30

I seem to have forgotten my user password, which means that I can not unlock my system. :oops: ( luckily you can just doa hard shutdown) So I am using the limous lite version and I have already doen the advanced hack to get to all the goodies.

Does anyone out there know:
    1) is there some trick to typing in your password. ( IE even if you use lower case it needs to be all upper case?)
    2) Is there a way that I can either totally reset the password, or see what it is?

Thanks
    Zander

zander30, Oct 15, 2008
  2. zander30

Duncan_Rowland

You could boot from a USB stick, mount the SSD and edit the password files.

Duncan_Rowland, Oct 15, 2008
  3. zander30

poor1

When you type in the password and confirmation. There is not the usual Windows response. Just do it and press enter. No idea how you recover a lost password as I am a newcomer to Linux.

poor1, Oct 15, 2008
  4. zander30

Duncan_Rowland

Just a thought, what happens when you get to the login prompt and press "Ctrl+Alt+F1" and then "Ctrl+Alt+F2" ?
    If that gets you to a user shell prompt you should be able to reset the password by typing:
    sudo passwd user

Duncan_Rowland, Oct 16, 2008
  5. zander30

zander30

Thanks Duncan,
    This actually resets the root password, which i did do, but does nothing for the user password. I talked to Acer today and they informed me that I needed to totally reinstall the OS. SInce I do not have any data on the machine yet that is not too big a pain data wise, but still an exstram messure.
    I am happy to report to all who offered help that I did finally figure out waht i set the @##$% password to. Needless to say i have noted it down in a few secure places so i will not forget again.

thanks for everyone's help.

JUST AN FYI, since this is linux, NO DICTIONARY WORDS for your Password. :eek:

zander30, Oct 17, 2008
  6. zander30

Grim Squeaker

Eeehm - yes it does.
    sudo passwd changes the root password
    sudo passwd user changes the user password.

Yes, security is airtight on the One !

Grim Squeaker, Oct 17, 2008
Ask a Question