Restoring an AAO150 to Windows

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by NormalInk, Nov 7, 2011.

1. NormalInk

NormalInk

I made my AAO150 a Hackintosh, but the updates have just gotten to be too much of a headache, and I want to try reverting to Windows with the Windows 8 beta and eventually just installing Windows 8 proper when it comes out. I've downloaded the .iso from MS, made a bootable USB drive with unebootin, and updated the BIOS on the AAO to 3310, but I can't manage to boot the computer to the Windows USB drive I made with unebootin. I can hit F2 to select a boot disk, and the USB drive appears in the list, but when I select it and hit Enter, it just boots to Mac OSX.

I'm thinking it's the bootloader, but I've been a Mac guy my whole life, and I think I'm just in over my head at this point. I can't really figure out how to install a new one, or, for that matter, which to install. When I boot the AAO, the boot screen tells me it's using "Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v1.0.12."

Any help would be great. I'm just at a bit of a loss as to what to try next.

NormalInk, Nov 7, 2011
  2. NormalInk

Swarvey Moderator

I'd say there's something wrong with the USB you've created. When a PC attempts to boot from any media, it's looking for the MBR etc on that particular media. If it can't locate what it needs to boot, it goes to the next available boot device. Whereas (in my experience at least) mac boots differently.

Try re-creating the bootable USB, or maybe with a different USB drive.
    Try burning the ISO to a bootable DVD and use an external DVD drive.
    Did MS provide you with a hash value so you can verify the image downloaded correctly?

From what I've been reading, "Windows 8" is in the pre-beta developer stage so you might just have to expect some bugs.

Swarvey, Nov 7, 2011
  3. NormalInk

NormalInk

I've tried two drives. I'll give the DVD drive a shot when I have access to one. I just checked the hash, and it's correct.

I'm also using the 32-bit version of Windows 8. That's the right one, right? Any other ideas? Does the bootloader really matter?

NormalInk, Nov 8, 2011
  4. NormalInk

Swarvey Moderator

32 bit (x86) should be the right one. The "bootloader" for a PC is stored on the disk / media itself (not sure about mac and/or mac "firmware"). If your boot order in the BIOS is right, then it should be booting the USB drive, when it fails to find a useable bootloader it'll move onto the next useable device, your HDD.

Swarvey, Nov 8, 2011
  5. NormalInk

MasterJediAdam

What version of Mac OSX did you load? During your loads, did you alter anything other than the hard drive?

MasterJediAdam, Nov 28, 2011
Ask a Question