Restoring Linux on Acer Aspire One ZG5

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,
    I just acquired an Acer Aspire One ZG5, I have bought it used and the person I bought it from installed windows 7 on it, I want to restore it to the factory default Linux but he didn't have the recovery disk and I have tried the Alt plus F10 combination on start up but it's not doing anything? Please help me if possible thank you.
    The specs are the standard 8gb, 512mb.

Guest, Jan 8, 2011
  2. Guest

donec

The original OS that came with the AAO ZG5 was Linpus and it is a version of Linux. Which (as far as I know) is no longer available. Now this is a good thing because it was a real pain to use and do anything with, due to being very crippled. Now I have an AAO ZG5 also and it is working perfectly as a full blown laptop. However I use it mostly for an eBook reader. It will not run the modern games but I can do most anything I want to on it. It is not really slower than the Win7 laptop I have just smaller. Boots from power switch on through password enter thorough wifi logon to working desktop in 1 minute and 45 seconds. My Win7 Laptop takes 1 minute 50 seconds. I am running Linux Mint 10 on it. I downloaded "Main edition (Gnome desktop)" "The standard version" Live CD (Really a DVD size since it is 832MB) 32-bit from....
    http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=69
    I downloaded the ISO image using my Win 7 laptop and used the free software "All Free Disc Burner" from
    http://www.allfreevideoconverter.com/freediscburner/index.html
    to burn the Live DVD onto a rewritable DVD. I used an external DVD burner/player connected to my AAO ZG5 to boot to the live DVD and then installed the system. It was a very simple and easy install. You will need to figure out a password that you will be able to remember because it will ask you for one. There may be ways to install it using a USB pin drive but all of the ones I have seen are quite complicated at least to me and I have been around, working with, building and teaching computers and systems over the past 30+ years. So I advise you if you do not have one to get an external DVD player/burner it will be worth the expense. Linux Mint recognizes the SD card slot on the power side of the computer whether there is a card in it at boot time or not (truly swappable) but the SD slot on the non-power side of the computer needs to have a card in the slot at boot time to see the slot then it is swappable.

donec, Jan 8, 2011
Ask a Question