Restrict access to AA1 with User Pass?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by playersmarkus, Aug 27, 2008.

1. playersmarkus

playersmarkus

Help!
    I got my AA1 (8g, Linux) from Dynamism. When I turned it on, it was already pre configured to go straight to the home screen. No setup was necessary. Now I'm trying to set a User Password (NOT root/bios) to restrict access, but it won't let me. It's asking for the current password, which I never configured...

Any ideas on how to overwrite this so I can use my own user password? Thanks!!!

playersmarkus, Aug 27, 2008
  2. playersmarkus

fonk373ams

Same story! bought it today and pre-configured straight to home screen... ;(
    Help pls!
    Thanks in advance

fonk373ams, Aug 27, 2008
  3. playersmarkus

fonk373ams

4. playersmarkus

playersmarkus

didn't work for me. I changed my root pass via terminal, and it looks like the user pass is accepting it, but I still can't change it.
    I called Acer and these ASSHOLES want $60 for an answer!

playersmarkus, Aug 27, 2008
  5. playersmarkus

hclholt

Hi from my little knowledge of Linux if you cannot find the Root password for your machine then you may need to rebuild your machine. My unit bought in the UK was unlocked when first powered and yes required a password entering which subsequently appears to be the machines root account. Since purchasing the machine I have been happily learning how to break Linux but during this sometimes frustrating and often time consuming pass-time I eventually had to rebuild the machine with the supplied recovery DVD. Thankfully this was a very pain free way to restore the system to the original state i.e. requiring a user to set a new root password. If your system has come with a DVD recovery disk then is probably the best way forward for you and probably worth finding out now how to do this if my experience is anything to go by, especially if you try and load other software other than with Live update.

A few things to know before using the recovery disk:

You will loose any user data not saved to an external disk/usb fob. For me the only thing I needed to download was the /home/user directory as this contained everything I had downloaded and also all my firefox bookmarks etc. You could obviously just select the information you require but copying the whole user directory doesn't take that long and you can always delete what you don't need afterwards. Sometimes you don't know what you need until its gone so I thought best to play safe. I did see some files from the directories didn't copy because of permissions but everything I needed transferred ok. If I had performed the task as root from the command line I expect this error would not have been seen.

The instructions say you will need a 1GB USB fob or greater. The two 1GB fobs I tried to use both failed to work because they were too small, so I think 2GB is the minimum you can use.

I first tried to create the USB image on my home PC but found that it came up with a strange message which basically didn't help diagnose the problem (some error message with a number). When I had almost given up in disgust I thought to try again using my Dell laptop and this time the USB stick was created without any further issue.

Restoring the image couldn't have been easier once the USB stick had been programmed. Just boot your AA1 with the USB fob in any of the USB ports and press the F12 key during the bios screen. Select boot from USB HDD and follow the instructions. The whole process takes less than 20 minutes.

Hope this helps you. If not it may help some others in trouble with the AA1 Linux.

hclholt, Aug 28, 2008
  6. playersmarkus

gapthorpe

No need for rebuild.

If you can get to the screen with all the links, press Alt+F2 and type in "terminal". This should bring up a command line window.

Type "sudo su", which will change to the root account.

Change the user account by typing "passwd user". Can now set new account password for the user account.

Change the root account by typing "passwd". And same as above!

Hope that helps,

Graeme

gapthorpe, Aug 29, 2008
  7. playersmarkus

playersmarkus

Thanks, I changed the root before, but it somehow still will not lock my screen. Maybe you cannot lock the screen?? Is there a way to have it prompted a password first to restrict access to the OS?

playersmarkus, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question