Right side of screen turns blurry

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by huffe, Apr 24, 2010.

1. huffe

huffe

When I boot my AO751h the screen is sharp and clear, but when I close the lid (the screen goes black, no sleep-mode) and open it again, the right side of the screen (maybe 500-600 pixels out from the side) becomes blurry. I can clearly see the clock in the tray is blurry. When I restart the laptop - the problem is gone.

Anyone have a theory?

I have tried with different versions of the display driver, and fiddled in the Intel Graphics Media control panel with no luck.

huffe, Apr 24, 2010
  2. huffe

Swarvey Moderator

Sounds to me like it could be a capacitor or some other hardware fault in the monitor itself. Does the same problem happen if you use the fn+F5/F6 key's (could be wrong with the combo, i'm only familiar with the D250) to manually turn the monitor off?

Maybe try changing your power settings to make the machine goto sleep when the lid is shut, to see if resuming from standby fixes the problem.

Swarvey, Apr 25, 2010
  3. huffe

huffe

Thanks for your reply!

When I use the combination fn + f6 to turn off the screen, the problem does not occur. On the other side, if I use fn + f5 to toggle any external screen (there are none) the screen turns blurry. The exact same thing occurs on resume after stand-by by closing lid.

Confusing.

huffe, Apr 25, 2010
  4. huffe

Swarvey Moderator

Working from my D250, the fn+F6 combo turns off the monitor. What's actually happening though, is it's only killing the backlight. On the right angle, you can shine an external light source through the screen and still make out what's being displayed.

When sent to sleep mode, it's actually shutting down the monitor, as well as cutting the signal to the monitor. Nothing is displayed with/without backlight. The external screen switch also cuts the signal to the monitor, unless clone view or expanded desktop is on. This says to me it's a software issue within the machine itself. I.E a BIOS, driver, or display control panel issue.

Now considering the fact that you've already tried different drivers and control panel settings, my suggestion at this point would be to upgrade the BIOS. Give that a go and let us know what happens.

Swarvey, Apr 25, 2010
  5. huffe

huffe

You're correct, the fn + f6 just turns off the backlight.

I updated to the newest BIOS (v3212) now, but unfortunately the problem is still there...

I'm going to experiment further with alternative display drivers, just to see if there are any differences between them.

Thanks again for your help.

huffe, Apr 25, 2010
Ask a Question