Rotate/Invert screen in Linpus Linux AAO

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sideways, Aug 23, 2008.

1. sideways

sideways

For reading some PDF docs or playing some games it is useful to rotate the screen.

open a terminal (ALT+F2 and type 'terminal') and type this

Code:
    xrandr -o left
    to return to normal type

Code:
    xrandr -o normal
    rotation options are 'left', 'right, 'inverted' or 'normal' (type 'xrandr --help' for more options)

You can also reflect in x or y axis (I have no idea why you would want to do this) by typing 'xrandr -x' or 'xrandr -y'.

sideways, Aug 23, 2008
  2. sideways

Sid

Learn how to use your One when it is set like this and the person next to you on your flight will not shoulder surf :)

Try it, it is not easy to use.

Sid, Aug 23, 2008
  3. sideways

openschnitzel

That's kind of nice, because the AAO is my first computer which I can actually hold like a book. Thanks for the hint.

openschnitzel, Aug 23, 2008
  4. sideways

sideways

cheers,

btw, this works best if you have the 'normal' xfce desktop rather than the acer one, see this thread for a 'switcher' app

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1612

(re relecting in y-axis (mirror image) to deter annoying sholder spys ......... :lol: )

sideways, Aug 23, 2008
  5. sideways

MusicMeister

For when you're duplicating the onscreen display to a projector that is either mounted from the ceiling (reflect in x axis), mounted from behind (reflect in y axis) or both (behind and mounted from the ceiling - reflect in BOTH X and Y axis).

Or if you wanted to read it in a mirror... ;-)

MusicMeister, Aug 26, 2008
  6. sideways

CalebW

That's very handy - is there an easy way to set up keyboard shortcuts for rotating the screen?

CalebW, Oct 29, 2008
  7. sideways

sideways

Not sure about setting up keyboard mappings but you can launch krandrtray which will put an icon in the system tray which allows display configuration including rotation and resizing (which is very handy)

Just type this in a terminal window or from and alt+f2 command window
    Code:
    krandrtray
    may need to install kdebase first
    Code:
    sudo yum install kdebase

sideways, Nov 2, 2008
  8. sideways

samguyjones

I made a script to toggle portrait and landscape. It's basically the same commands with detection to find the current state. I posted instructions in the Linux forum.

samguyjones, Nov 11, 2008
  9. sideways

Carrotts

I like that feature, thanks for the tip. Any one know how to rotate the mouse input at the same time, it confuses me :idea: :cry:

Carrotts, Nov 15, 2008
  10. sideways

flavouredvanilla

Is there a way of rotating the mouse touch pad too?

So that the mouse pad rotates in the same way as the screen so they're relative to one another?

flavouredvanilla, Jan 14, 2009
  11. sideways

noobeeJF

:shock: that could possibly be a bit too far out lol...
    i'd end up with the screen inverted, upside down, back-to-front and mouse touchpad arse-about face... :D
    spose be worth a try lol :p

noobeeJF, Jan 16, 2009
  12. sideways

CashMoney

Slightly off topic but if you just want to rotate the screen for ebooks (not saying everyone reading this thread is, but some might be) then FBReader might be what you are looking for. You can rotate the text, bind keys to 'turn the page' (I use space for when I hold the AAO like a book), it runs on plenty of different OS's, auto bookmarks and can create a library from your ebooks. Supports plenty of file types too.

I liked being able to use the Intel software to rotate for the specific purpose of reading books, but now with FBReader installed on Linpus, Ubuntu, WinXP and Win7, I can rotate my books regardless of the OS I am in, and because I'm not rotating the screen, the Touchpad works as normal. Both Ubuntu and Acer's Linpus have it in their Package Managers.

CashMoney, Jan 17, 2009
Ask a Question