Runaway System Process at nearly 100% CPU

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by mw7301, Mar 2, 2009.

1. mw7301

mw7301

I noticed a very strange thing with my 10 inch Acer Aspire One. The System process (NOT the System idle process) was running at almost 100% of the CPU making the entire machine run so sluggish it was almost unusable. I googled the symptoms and apparently a lot of people have seen this kind of behavior from varios models of laptops but no one really pinned down the cause. After spending an entire day trying to figure what was casusing this I remembered an article I read about bad XP drivers and some of the weirdness they can cause and I finally found the source of the problem. Apparently if you use a USB based Bluetooth adapter and you use the default Microsoft drivers for it this is what was causing the system process to go nuts. I tried 2 different bluetooth adapters, the Dlink and a one of those no-name brands that is about the size of a dime and they both cause the same problem. The weird thing is that you have to remove the battery and shut the machine down several times to remove the allocated drivers even after unpluging the devices which made it a lot harder to figure this out.

In any case is you see the system process suddenly start to hog almost all of the CPU you might want to start checking the USB device especially bluetooth devices you have plugged into your system.

mw7301, Mar 2, 2009
Ask a Question