Running Firefox 3?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by yatfu, Jul 15, 2008.

1. yatfu

yatfu

Has anyone managed to get Firefox 3 running in Linpus on the Aspire One yet? I managed to get it running (fedora 8 version via Les RPM de Remi
    ), however, it was copied over the Firefox 2 installation and somehow caused the standard Acer mail software to stop working. As a total linux-noob I couldn't get things back to normal again, so I decided to run the recovery disc.

Everything is back to factory defaults, still I'd like to get Firefox 3 running properly, since I did notice a performance increase. Does anyone know how to do this? :p

yatfu, Jul 15, 2008
  2. yatfu

Kev50027

bump!

I need help with this too.

Kev50027, Jul 19, 2008
  3. yatfu

myst

since i didnt want to mess up with the firefox2 installed on the system, i simply downloaded the archive from firefox official site (in tar.bz2 format) and uncompressed it (as root) in /opt.

then i manually created the shortcut in /usr/share/applications (copying the linpus-web.desktop and modyfing it, because i'm lazy :) ) and linked it in the group-app.xml so it now appears side by side the default firefox2.

waiting for linpus guys to official update firefox installation.

myst, Jul 19, 2008
  4. yatfu

macles

5. yatfu

baseline

baseline, Jul 22, 2008
Ask a Question