Running Puppy Linux From USB Stick

Discussion in 'Linux' started by yachtpro, Jan 16, 2009.

1. yachtpro

yachtpro

I have lost track of which forum/thread I used to find the original info, but I think I followed all the directions carefully. Downloaded Power ISO and installed on my desktop. Downloaded Puppy Linux (Seamonkey).ISO file. Used Power ISO to unpack to my SanDisk 2 gig (U3 enabled) flash drive. One file still seems to be zipped or rarred after unpacking. Changed boot sequence on my AAO to first boot from USB FFD (there were three USB choices as I remember, and I assumed that FFD meant flash drive) and tried it out. No luck, as Win XP continues to boot. What did I do wrong? As far as I know, I should be able to run Puppy directly off the flash drive without an actual install. Works on my desktop with Red Hat from a CD. Can anyone help a Linux Newbie?

yachtpro, Jan 16, 2009
  2. yachtpro

admin_one

Mine won't boot puppy with a card in the left side expansion slot.

Did you try booting any other box with that stick? The U3 business might be a problem. Try using a different flash if you have it. My boxes like puppy on an SD card in a USB adapter, no goofy partition issues to wreak havoc.

just saying,

admin_one, Jan 16, 2009
  3. yachtpro

yachtpro

OK I'll try that. Most of the posts I've read suggest the best luck using the U3 enabled sticks which is why I did. Seems it was a RH side USB slot, but that shouldn't make a difference. Should one file still be compacted? Nothing I have in Windows will open the file that is present when I used Power ISO to open and install Puppy on the stick. Thanks, anyone?

yachtpro, Jan 16, 2009
  4. yachtpro

admin_one

are you using aao to make the usb drive ? I have no experience with the software you mentioned.

easy: use a windows box with a cd drive, write the iso image to a cd, boot that cd version of puppy, and use puppy's built-in utility to make the bootable usb drive.

also, the usb slot you use shouldn't matter, but the left side SD slot on the acer must be empty.

hope that helps. puppy runs fast on the aao.

regards

admin_one, Jan 16, 2009
  5. yachtpro

yachtpro

Thanks, admin_one, but my quest is to make a working version of Puppy Linux that will run directly from the Jump Drive (in this case, a Sandisk 2 gig w/U3 Smart Drive) I have read lots of the posts about using Power ISO or some other similar program to convert the Puppy Linux.ISO file to the ready to run from bootup program. I have Red Hat on a CD that will run fine on my Win XP desktop directly from the CD. The AAO doesn't have an optical drive, so I thought I would try the removable flash drive trick. Should work the same. Maybe I'll try one of the other USB bootup options in the F2 setup, or maybe another flash drive with nothing on it. The Power ISO program did what it was supposed to do and unpacked, converted and installed the .ISO file onto the flash drive. It just won't detect it even though I have enabled the USB drive to boot FIRST before the actual hard drive boot record takes over. Win XP still boots and Linux doesn't. Thanks for your help. I don't use any SD cards for extra room as I have the 160 gig HDD, so that is out of the equation. Still scratching my head as I followed all the directions. Next best is to try a different flashdrive. I have NO idea as to why the AAO would be flashdrive sensitive, but it seems to be so.

yachtpro, Jan 16, 2009
  6. yachtpro

RockDoctor

Following the normal instructions for Puppy (boot from the cdrom, install to a VFAT-formatted flash drive), then plug the flash drive into your AAO and boot. I prefer the puppy-410-27.iso (checked out the link at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35424&start=45) as the 2.6.27 kernel is much more AAO-friendly.

RockDoctor, Jan 16, 2009
  7. yachtpro

yachtpro

OK Seems I was my own worst enemy. Tried a different stick (NOT U3 Smart Drive). Downloaded the Puppy version recommended in above reply. Downloaded and used Unetbootin to open and install the Puppy .iso directly onto the stick. Sure beats having to burn a CD and then use that to convert it onto the stick. The rest was almost all automatic after clicking "install". Puppy set itself up, internet connection was a breeze, and now I will probably have a bizillion newbie questions about how to use Linux. Thanks for the help.

yachtpro, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question