Scribus, pageplus, desktop publishing

Discussion in 'Linux' started by carly, Dec 26, 2008.

1. carly

carly

Hello all,

After getting this machine I've become very disappointed to learn that I can't run serif pageplus on linux, and am now in desperate need of a new free desktop publishing software, I've heard Scribus is the best option for linux but I've tried downloading it to no avail...

Can someone PLEASE give me an idiotproof guide to installing scribus, or if this isn't possible, a suggestion for an alternative? I have a half finished fanzine with a deadline approaching, eek!

Thanks!

carly, Dec 26, 2008
  2. carly

yodersj

You need to install it using what is called the Package Management program. This will get you started:
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5105
    Once you have Pirut running you will want to search for "scribus" in order to select it (check the box beside of its listing) for installation.

Since you do desktop publishing, this how-to may be of use in getting the fonts to look as you are used to seeing them:
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3906

yodersj, Dec 27, 2008
  3. carly

Rapax

Alternatively, hit Alt-F2
    then type (without quotes):"sudo yum install scribus"
    hit Enter
    enter your password when it asks for it
    wait a minute or so, while Scribus is being downloaded and installed (see how nice it is that you don't have to find it yourself?)

Scribus should show up in the application menu under the graphics submenu.

Rapax, Jan 3, 2009
Ask a Question