SD expansion card slot question

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by willwgp, Sep 30, 2008.

1. willwgp

willwgp

I just got a 16 gb SD card, and I'm excited as all get out to use it! But when I plug it into either slot, it doesn't seem to assume that I want it to expand the SSD's space ... I right clicked the "home" it just says "3.8 gb free" and should say about "19.3 gb free" or whatever. Or maybe I'm just confused :)

I've seen it ask before, when I didn't have enough space "Would you like to expand your space via SD?" and I didn't click it at the time ... I dunno man. lol

Thanks for your response in advance!

willwgp, Sep 30, 2008
  2. willwgp

N6546R

Are you running Linpus or Windows? The expansion slot will only work as you describe under Linpus.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Sep 30, 2008
  3. willwgp

willwgp

yeah that's correct, I'm using linpus and lovin it :)

willwgp, Sep 30, 2008
  4. willwgp

kevin

Is the card formatted? Have you tried rebooting with the card inserted? As far as I understand, only the left slot works for `storage expansion'. But if you plug something in the right slot you should see something in the file manager, at least.

kevin, Sep 30, 2008
  5. willwgp

willwgp

Yeah I see it when I put it in either slot, and I understand it's supposed to extend it from my SSD when I put it into the left, which I've left it in. And I did reboot with the card inserted. I haven't tried formatting it, but when I started moving music and pictures into the regular SSD the excess went into the SD card. So I guess it's doing its job! :)

willwgp, Sep 30, 2008
  6. willwgp

daniel

Hi All,

I change the Acer desktop to the xfce default using the tips at http://jorge.ulver.no/2008/08/06/acer-a ... ultdesktop

However, after reboot my Storage Expansion slot stopped working, the 16G added by the SD card had disappear. My Disk in File Manager reverted back to 6.4GB and File-Upgrade Expansion Card is greyed out

Would you please advise how I can get the expension function back while using the standard Xfce desktop.

Thanks.

daniel, Oct 6, 2008
  7. willwgp

willwgp

I have no clue how to fix that problem Daniel, as I've just encountered something I have no idea what to do with.

The 16gb SD I've got, I couldn't open it on my windows PC, probably because it slowly supports usb 1.1, and not SD cards higher than 8gb. Linpus recognizes my 16 gb sd card, but I can't see anything that's on it. How would I go about formatting it so I could actually use it with my Linpus? I've tried reading tutorials, and when I type FD into the terminal under root, it shows that I have it mounted in, on my right side slot, but doesn't say I can format it because it "can't find it." I'm totally confused. It's not as easy as right click on Windows and format.

Thanks for your response in advance.

willwgp, Oct 7, 2008
  8. willwgp

rbil

What does the following command display about the card?:

sudo fdisk -l

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 7, 2008
  9. willwgp

willwgp

[​IMG]
    I've downloaded Gparted to help me out with this. I unmounted the card, tried to format it, but it won't let me format it to ext2 or ext 3, I don't know what linux-swap is but my guess was not to try it?

When I type sudo fdisk -1 into terminal it returns this:

Disk /dev/sda: 8069 MB, 8069677056 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 981 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 850 6827593+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 851 981 1052257+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 16.7 GB, 16776691712 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2039 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 1 2040 16379392 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

I know I'm getting close to a solution here!

willwgp, Oct 7, 2008
  10. willwgp

rbil

You can leave the card formatted as FAT32. Maybe try qtparted. It'll probably work better.

Install it ...

sudo yum install qtparted

Then run it ...

sudo qtparted

Remove any partition on the drive, so the whole drive is raw. Then create a new partition using the whole drive and format it FAT32.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 7, 2008
  11. willwgp

willwgp

Thanks for the help so far! I installed QTParted and it couldn't detect the SD card anywhere on the system, not sure why. I rebooted and had it mounted, so it should have seen it. It only saw the SSD portion of the AA1.

I can see it on GParted as you can see in the picture, but just can't do anything with it at all, even delete it or format it. :|

willwgp, Oct 7, 2008
  12. willwgp

jonchalk

I read in the manuals that it supports only 8Mb maximum under Linpus. Good news is that it does accept SDHD cards.
    :D

jonchalk, Oct 7, 2008
  13. willwgp

willwgp

HUH?! lol ... so does that mean if I used something else like say Windows or Ubuntu that possibly it would be able to read it? Or ... :?

I mean as it is right now, it was able to read the SD card and use it as an expansion. Problem was, it only let me fill it up to a certain point, as if there was something else in the way that I couldn't see. The only thing I can see in there right now is one picture that I put on it. It's all weird to me that I can see the card but basically not be able to do anything with it right now ... it's a 16gb sdhc

willwgp, Oct 7, 2008
  14. willwgp

rbil

Maybe try placing the card in the RIGHT side SD slot and running qtparted again. Does it see it now? It's possible that aufs is interfering with the visibility of the SD card because it's in the LEFT slot.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 7, 2008
  15. willwgp

melhiore

Yes it does... All SDHC cards up to 32GB...

melhiore, Oct 7, 2008
  16. willwgp

rbil

There is something crazy about this whole thing. His 16GB drive is reported as this with fdisk -l:

On the other hand, I have a 4GB SD card in the LEFT slot and it too is reported to be:

Methinks it's all due to that silly aufs that Linpus is using.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 7, 2008
  17. willwgp

willwgp

That's rather interesting. I don't know what to do about it, I wish I could fix it. I mean I should be able to do something about it and just format it. I'm really not sure what the big deal is, why it keeps stopping me from even trying. :|

willwgp, Oct 7, 2008
Ask a Question