SDHC Expansion Principles - Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by moyners, May 26, 2010.

1. moyners

moyners

Hi all,

I've been doing a bit of reading and managed to confuse myself about storage - I've had a search here and can't quite find what I'm after - so do forgive me if I'm asking something that's been addressed in a how-to or somesuch before. (Perhaps point me there if so).

My lovely AAO 110 is running Ubuntu and I have just moved up to 10.04 (lucid). I mainly use it for browsing and Skype - I have USB mobile broadband (that was a bit of a headache but got there in the end) for when I'm out and about (I have a campervan).

I thought it was time to increase storage and have bought an 8gb SDHC card - the card is recognised but I'm not sure what to do with it now and would appreciate some advice.

I guess I should be thinking about things like moving temporary files or home directory there but don't really know.

What suggestions would you give with regard filesystem partitioning, etc?

Thanks in advance.

moyners, May 26, 2010
  2. moyners

DiSK

I'm not sure how to do that in Ubuntu, but if I was you, I'd move any media or documents to the SDHC card, instead of temp files or whatnot. It'd be easier to backup those items that way, or carry them around.

DiSK, May 27, 2010
  3. moyners

Luc

I agree with storing media and documents in the SDHC card. And, if I were you, I would definitely encrypt that card. It's not difficult to have it decrypted automatically (although you would have to type your password on every boot). Maybe you should keep your entire /home directory in it.

Sorry I'm reviving an old topic, I was just passing by, spotted it and found it interesting. Let me know if you need help with the encryption procedure.

Luc, Jun 9, 2010
  4. moyners

jango

Im using Ubuntu Lucid UNR with two partitions, Ubuntu on the SSD and /home at SDHC 8GB, i think is the best solution...

jango, Jun 9, 2010
  5. moyners

T_Hobbit

Linpus do that automagicaly... something about LVM...
    Anyone knows how to do that with UNR or Fedora?

T_Hobbit, Aug 25, 2010
Ask a Question