Selecting 'external display only' causes crash

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by mateotu, Jan 6, 2009.

1. mateotu

mateotu

Hi all

This could be graphics hardware, Linpus Linux, or maybe even BIOS, trying here first ;-)

When I switch to 'show my desktop only on the external display' - either from the XFCE menu or using the Fn + F5 keys - my AA1 crashes about 10 seconds later. When it crashes, there's no error message or any warnings, just instant power-off. Anybody seen this before?

The weird thing is, the external monitor works perfectly for those ten seconds; and if you switch out of 'external display only' mode before the ten seconds is up, the crash never happens. The external monitor also works perfectly in 'show my desktop on all displays' mode, even at 1280x1024 with the built-in LCD showing just the top-left part of the desktop. I guess the crash is not caused by the do-you-want-to-keep-these-settings timer, cos if the timer is running the crash always happens a few seconds before the timer runs out.

So, thanks for reading this far! Any suggestions?

H

mateotu, Jan 6, 2009
  2. mateotu

mateotu

Ok, here's a followup for the benefit of anyone who ends up here via Google or whatever.

Turns out the problem had something to do with an Advent 4-port powered USB hub that's also plugged into my AA1. When I run the hub unpowered (just by pulling out the power cable), the problem goes away, and external-only mode works a treat. Took me ages to figure that one out though!

Very strange.

mateotu, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question