Sending plain text email with Acer One Mail

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mward, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mward

mward

Is it possible to turn off HTML and send plain text email messages with the Acer One mail client?

Failing that, can Kmail be installed instead?

mward, Sep 28, 2008
  2. mward

Huw

I'm not sure about Acer One Mail since I have never used it, but with regard to Kmail - I would think twice before downloading it because it would probably require a massive load of KDE libs as well, which would make for a huge download. Do you have the space?

Huw, Oct 6, 2008
  3. mward

mward

I downloaded and installed kmail (the rpm is kdepim): which required about half a dozen extra RPMs, but nothing too massive. Kmail can receive email (via imap in my case), but not send mail by any method (sendmail or smtp to a mail server). Clicking on "Check What the Server Supports" under the security tab of the "Transport SMTP" gives the error message:

Could not read .

Which suggests that some directory (the "." in the message might be a reference to the current directory) or file (the "." might be a full stop after an empty filename) is not installed or does not have the required permissions.

I ended up installing thunderbird, which works fine.

mward, Oct 6, 2008
  4. mward

tjchick

Hi,

I strongly dislike Thunderbird, and sylpeed kept on locking up for me, so I moved to trying kmail (which is what I use on all my "real" computers)

I too could receive but not send. The problem was the missing library:
    /usr/lib/kde3/kio_smtp.so

There is a missing dependency on this for the kdepim package. This library comes from
    kdebase-3.5.8-5.fc8

I just yum installed kdebase, BUT that is pretty massive, so you could try putting just that library in?

I also found the authentication mechanisms were not installed, for things other than plan text, eg:

cyrus-sasl-ldap-2.1.22-7
    cyrus-sasl-lib-2.1.22-7
    cyrus-sasl-md5-2.1.22-7
    cyrus-sasl-ntlm-2.1.22-7
    cyrus-sasl-2.1.22-7
    cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.22-7
    cyrus-sasl-gssapi-2.1.22-7

Now I am very happily using kmail!

Cheers,
    Tim

tjchick, Oct 14, 2008
Ask a Question