Setting user password required at boot

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Agusta, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Agusta

Agusta

I did set a user password when I booted up for the first time (and have set a different root password when opening up the advanced menu) but since then my AAO boots up without asking me for my user password.
    How do I set it up to require a user password at log-in?

Agusta, Oct 23, 2008
  2. Agusta

Grim Squeaker

There are two ways to accomplish this:

1. Set a boot password in the BIOS.
    Note that this pw is completely unrelated to your linux password. Also note that if you have not upgraded the BIOS this password will always be stored in ALL CAPS, no mater how you type it. If you have upgraded the BIOS, it ignores case alltogether.

2. Activate a login manager (e.g. gdm)
    You can find instructions for that in the following post:
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=363&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=autologin#p3710

Do note that Acers live update likes to undo this. Also note that adding more user accounts is not trivial. Yes, Acer was very concerned with security when they adapted Linpus *cough*...

3. Alternative: encryption
    If you are just concerned about people getting access to your files, consider installing truecrypt. The executable in the .deb on their website also works fine on the One.

Grim Squeaker, Oct 23, 2008
  3. Agusta

Agusta

Thanks for that; a couple of dumb questions though.
    How do I set the boot password in the BIOS? i.e. how do I get into the BIOS? Is my preset user password still there and all I have to do is activate the BIOS to look for it?
    I ran live update a couple of days ago so does this mean my BIOS is automatically updated to the latest version (how do I check this and/or what is the latest version)?

Agusta, Oct 23, 2008
  4. Agusta

Grim Squeaker

1. turn on your One (or reboot it if it is already on)
    2. The Acer "empowering people" screen appears. In the bottom left corner it says to press F2 to get into the BIOS.
    3. So.. press F2. Before the screen vanishes of course ;)
    4. You can set the password under "security". To have the system ask for it at boot time enable "Power on password".

Remember: it will expect you to enter it in ALL CAPS. Also avoid making it longer than 8 letters or digits, and avoid special characters like TAB or @.

Yes and no.
    Yes - it is still there. You only need it for things that require root permission, or if you use the gdm option.
    No - as I said the linux password and the BIOS password are completely and utterly unrelated.

No. BIOS updates have to be done manually. Macles* has several articles on how to do that:
    http://macles.blogspot.com/search?q=bios

Note that the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto strongly applies to a computers BIOS. Especially if you do not know what you are doing.

Grim Squeaker, Oct 23, 2008
  5. Agusta

Agusta

No. BIOS updates have to be done manually. Macles* has several articles on how to do that:
    http://macles.blogspot.com/search?q=bios

Note that the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto strongly applies to a computers BIOS. Especially if you do not know what you are doing. Point taken - I shall leave well alone for now[/quote:28iepvcp]

Agusta, Oct 23, 2008
  6. Agusta

Grim Squeaker

Correct. Though on my system the password I entered during the 1st boot was for both user AND root.

Grim Squeaker, Oct 24, 2008
Ask a Question