Shared internet connection AA1 / HTC Tytn2

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rupie, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Rupie

Rupie

I want to setup an shared internet connection between my Acer Aspire one (on Linux Linpus Lite) and my mobile (HTC Tytn2 on Windows Mobile 6.1). I'm new to Linux and I have absolutely no idea how to set this up. This is pretty easy to setup on Windows XP but I don't feel like installing XP. Suggestions anyone?

Rupie, Apr 12, 2009
  2. Rupie

melhiore

Ha, it can be tricky...

Obviously you starting with Internet Sharing on Windows Mobile device... After establishing connection plug USB cable and... Linux should automagically pick-up internet connection, establish IP address etc. My Mandriva does that, Ubuntu as well so Linpus should do the same...

melhiore, Apr 12, 2009
  3. Rupie

jackluo923

jackluo923, Apr 13, 2009
  4. Rupie

melhiore

I understand why he want's to use build-in Internet sharing service. You have to pay for Wi-Fi router. It's not much money but TBH Wi-Fi router do the same what build-in application does... In build-in Internet sharing there is an option for Bluetooth PAN and USB. In Wi-Fi router there is extra Wi-Fi sharing which - as you mentioned before - draining the battery... Obviously it could be necessary to use Wi-Fi router or similar when system is not going to pick up shared connection...

melhiore, Apr 13, 2009
  5. Rupie

Rupie

That's the start of my problems, Linux doesnt pick-up anything. There are a few applications available on my AA1 (KMobileTools, USBSink, Mobile Partner), but not 1 of the applications is abel to establish a connection. Any suggestions?

Rupie, Apr 13, 2009
  6. Rupie

melhiore

Network Manager or any application responsible for network connection should do the work... I never used anything extra... In that case I would suggest using Wi-Fi router trial as jackluo923 suggested. After that you can decide what is the best solution...

melhiore, Apr 13, 2009
  7. Rupie

Rupie

I think i'm going to try bluetooth first (if i can get a bluetooth dongle installed...). But first i'll have to figure out a way to get an usb stick setup for restoring Linux. De recovery DVD has allready wrecked some partitions on my Vista machine (bye bye documents, pictures and windows user info) when trying to create a bootable USB stick. Great software bij Acer....

Rupie, Apr 13, 2009
  8. Rupie

jackluo923

Bluetooth dongle cost more than the wifi router software. BT internet sharing is not guarenteed to work under linux, but the wifi router is.

jackluo923, Apr 16, 2009
  9. Rupie

Rupie

When you have a bluetooth dongle somewhere (like me) it's not that expensive ;) But a new bluetooth dongle costs more than the wifi router software which is 30 USD? I've bought mine a few years ago for 7 or 8 USD...

I think I have a Windows XP cd somewhere, perhaps installing XP will solve all my problems! ;)

Rupie, Apr 17, 2009
Ask a Question