Should AA1 150 SSD user disable page file?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by matika, Jan 12, 2009.

1. matika

matika

I've read some article that tell people to turn off page file if you're using SSD.
    I understand this method is to make SSD to survive longer.

But I got another idea. Can I get a fast SD card(around 20MB/S speed) and set the page file
    on the SD card?I think that will help to increase the extensive writing and reading of SSD.
    And page file still be available for Windows.

Is this correct?

matika, Jan 12, 2009
  2. matika

mattytee

I wasn't aware the 150 came with an SSD. Do you have only 8 gigs of space?

If you have a hard drive, there's no gain to be had by putting your pagefile on an SD card.

If you indeed have an SSD, you can put your pagefile on an SD card. You'd want a class 6 or better SDHC with a fast write, as opposed the read speed which I believe is what you were quoting.

Something to think about though -- if you have 1+ gigs of RAM (I believe the 150 has a gig), XP doesn't page to disk much. You'd be just as well off not wasting an SDHC card on a pagefile but instead just turning off the pagefile totally (which you'll need to do temporarily to move it anyway). Then use your SD for storage and it'll last longer from not being written to all the time.

Hopefully this is clear.

mattytee, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question