Should I send in the laptop for repair?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by fleong, Jan 27, 2009.

1. fleong

fleong

I have an intermittent problem with startup where the boot will end up with "no boot device found".
    Have played around with different OS's, bios, and removing the extra gig of memory - now it happens very rarely, but does happen.
    With all the talk of damaged laptops, I am having second thought about sending it in, but if the problem gets worse, then it will probably be when the warranty runs out.
    What would you do?

fleong, Jan 27, 2009
  2. fleong

Jbill

I was having the same issue with my Acer One and one morning after receiving the "No boot device found" message I powered off the device and it would not power back on. It was totally dead. I contacted Acer and they stated that it appeared that it was a motherboard problem and I would have to send the Acer in for repair. They have had it a week now and I have not heard anything from them. I just hope that I do not receive mine back in the bad condition that others have stated. If you are rarely having the problem come up I would probably wait and see if the condition gets worse and at the last resort send it in for repair.

Jbill, Jan 30, 2009
  3. fleong

fleong

I had decided exactly the same thing - wait and see. It was the picture of stability for a week - shutting down, overloading it with multiple open applications and force quitting and doing everything to make it misbehave. Just as I was satisfied that it was rock solid, it would not start up. I have the same fears of them keeping it forever, and damaging it like some have described on this forum. I did take multiple pictures of the laptop to show that there are no scratches, and no broken hinges prior to sending it. Good luck with yours.

fleong, Feb 1, 2009
  4. fleong

fleong

Got it back 5 days after sending it. No scratches I see. Seems to work fine now. They replaced the SSD.
    I forgot to remove the SD card, and it was still there when returned. So, all in all a good experience with Acer service.

fleong, Feb 7, 2009
  5. fleong

Jbill

I am glad that you got your One back without any problems. I received mine back 10 days after they received the device with no damage except for a few very light scratches on it which is not hardly noticeable. I get the netbook out and power it up and 45 minutes later I rebooted the device and got the exact same error on reboot. I look at the paperwork that was sent back with the device and it says that all they did was a so called "Crisis Recovery" and updated the BIOS. SO now my device will not boot again and is dead and the repair depot did nothing at all to really troubleshoot the issue. I had to call support back and they tell me again that it is a hardware problem. So this time they did pay for shipping but I am now going to wait a few more weeks, or longer, to get the netbook back. I just hope that they don't damage it this time. I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to ever buy another Acer product again due to poor quality of the device and terrible customer support.

Jbill, Feb 12, 2009
  6. fleong

fleong

Just curious - are you in the US, and did you send it to the depot in Texas?
    Also, I was quite concerned that they would not know where to start, so I included the text from the many things that email support had tried already on pages stuck to the laptop.

fleong, Feb 14, 2009
Ask a Question