Sick of my SSD

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Jdban, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Jdban

Jdban

So I bought an Acer Aspire One a year or so ago, and the SSD is SO slow. I can't deal with it anymore, its so painful. A good example of how slow it is, is that I opened a 3meg .msi installer file, and it took over 30 minutes to install. That is ridiculous.

What would you all recommend I do?
    I'm thinking about selling it and getting rid of it.
    Any suggestions?

Jdban, Feb 4, 2010
  2. Jdban

Swarvey Moderator

Speed issues like this could be related to sooo many things.

Was it always this slow? or has it just become slow over time?
    Have you considered a SATA replacement? (i'm sure there's a hack for that)

As far as I've read, SSD's are supposed to be lightning quick. But I'd NEVER substitute for an actual hard drive. I thrash my storage devices and need longevity... not restrictions of so many reads / writes

Swarvey, Feb 4, 2010
  3. Jdban

Jdban

Its always been that slow, ever since the beginning. Even when I install a new OS, its slow.
    I havent used the netbook in over 6 months because it is so dreadfully slow.

A replacement hard drive would involve hardware hacking and cost money, and I don't want to hack or spend money.

Jdban, Feb 4, 2010
  4. Jdban

Swarvey Moderator

My only remaining suggestions would be to either try and find a driver / firmware update for the SSD, or sell the whole rig and replace it with one that has an actual mechanical drive. I'm sure you'd get a fair bit back for the old one, but everything depreciates over time so don't expect to get too much of a return.

Which model AAO is it? does it come with 3G/Bluetooth/Wifi etc?

Swarvey, Feb 5, 2010
  5. Jdban

furrybandit

I have found out that Flashfire (very important piece of software for a SSD device)
    I had a 8 gig ssd , was not too bad, but flash fire made it better.
    i would recomend a format and fresh install , does wonders :D
    none of this "upgrade crap ", and install flashfire.

furrybandit, Feb 5, 2010
  6. Jdban

Swarvey Moderator

I've just been trawling the forums and found something.

I second the notion to have a look at Flashfire. There's heaps of reports of it speeding up SSD based systems.

However if you do wish to upgrade that is your choice and your choice only.

One does wonder though, if SSD systems require this "Flasfire" to get any decent speed out of them, why not incorporate it into the OEM software?

Swarvey, Feb 5, 2010
  7. Jdban

TantalusFld

Flash Fire will do an amazing speed up of your SSD. It has a slight drawback. It interferes with windows update for some reason and also blocks chkdsk from running completely. You won't notice this until your computer gets behind in updates or you crash windows and chkdsk tries to kick in. Last I read they were working on a way to easily shut off Flash Fire to let these utilities run, then turn back on. Worth a try, great program otherwise.

TantalusFld, Feb 6, 2010
  8. Jdban

Swarvey Moderator

I've had a look at the official site for flashfire to work out how it works. Be aware that it also eats up about 32Mb of your netbook's RAM (memory). This figure is configurable, however I wouldn't suggest setting it any lower than this.

Personally I wouldnt' touch an SSD with a ten foot barge pole. Gimme a decent mechanical drive with a decent capacity anyday.

Swarvey, Feb 6, 2010
  9. Jdban

TantalusFld

Back to the OP, Jdban, if you're still around. You don't want to hack, and don't want to spend any money Flash Fire is for you. It is a small program, free download, and the 32meg of memory usage helps the computer to run faster, not slower. Try installing it and let us know how it works.
    http://flashfire.org/xe/

Jim

TantalusFld, Feb 7, 2010
Ask a Question