Simple for some .... but I'm an idiot!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by glasshock, Aug 27, 2008.

1. glasshock

glasshock

Hi all and thanks to whoever set up this forum ....its fantastic. Also, sorry if this question is in the wrong place or been asked countless times before.

Ok...... on my main notebook I run Outlook Office. (Forgive my stupidity) how do I install Outlook office from my disc? Do I need to buy an external disc drive? Or ...more likely... should I copy the disc to my external hard drive ..... will it load ok on the One? ........ :oops:

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

glasshock, Aug 27, 2008
  2. glasshock

Mark83

which model do you have? Linux or XP?

Mark83, Aug 27, 2008
  3. glasshock

darkwing602

If you do end up wanting to get an external CD drive for the aspire one, the discontinued XBox 360 HD-DVD USB drives are a pretty good deal at $39.99. Otherwise you end up doing some networking tricks or copying stuff to thumbdrive.

darkwing602, Aug 27, 2008
  4. glasshock

hmraao

Re: s/w installation from CD, suitable drives for

Obviously, they're good value for anyone interested in HD DVD, but there are cheaper external CDROM USB drives out there, and indeed CDR/RW USB drives for about the same price, for anyone wanting to actually burn CD's. (I'm pretty sure ASUS do one for their Eee, that should be suitable.) DVDR/RW drives are a bit more pricey, but I think you'd have to be pretty dedicated to do much DVD authoring on the AAO.

(Apologies for changing the subject field, but the original wasn't particularly descriptive.)

Also see External CDRW/DVDRW drive for AA1

By the way, when you say
    do you mean M$ Office Outlook?

hmraao, Aug 27, 2008
  5. glasshock

Achilles

I installed Office 2003 from the DVD drive of my desktop by using a wireless link (since I had set the drive to be shared). It does tend to be a little slow however as it is limited by the wifi speed.

The other way is simply to copy the contents across to a USB stick or external hard drive and install from there. I would think this would probably work for MS Office

With some programs I have found that they need the original disk image. If this is the case you can make this using e.g. Alcohol 120%, copy to your hard drive or stick and then run Daemon Tools from the One to read the disk.

Achilles, Aug 27, 2008
  6. glasshock

glasshock

Hi ..... thank you for the replies.
    I shall try the advice given below ...thanks for your time on this Achilles!

I'm running xp with 120gb and 1g ram.

Gone are the days of spending £800 and up on a half decent notebook........

I now live and work in Thailand and use a motorbike to get to the office.....so gone also are the days of humping a huge bag full of wires and a brick.
    What I need to do throughout the day mainly circles around emails and reports (construction) so a main notebook at home and an external hard drive are all I ever require.......the One is fantastic for me.

Thanks again and all the best!

glasshock, Aug 28, 2008
Ask a Question