Simple games on Aspire One

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by TapouT, Sep 22, 2008.

1. TapouT

TapouT

Will small games like BeJeweled 2 Deluxe or Super Collapse 2 work on the windows XP hard drive versions? I am buying one to use for email, web browsing, maybe GPS and simple games if it can handle them.

Thanks.

TapouT, Sep 22, 2008
  2. TapouT

melhiore

melhiore, Sep 22, 2008
  3. TapouT

TapouT

Oh, Ok, thanks ;) I had read some reviews saying the Intel Atom was meant for cellphones and the like and was starting to have 2nd thoughts about ordering one.

TapouT, Sep 22, 2008
  4. TapouT

melhiore

Hmmm... That's interesting... Are we talking about the same Intel Atom CPU?? ;) Don't worry. This CPU is really good...

melhiore, Sep 22, 2008
  5. TapouT

TapouT

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330275,00.asp is where I read that. That is the 2nd page of a two page article comparing netbooks to notebooks.

I originally wanted something to read eBooks with and after I seen just how much these little cheesy eBook readers cost, I figured I was way better off to buy a netbook for a similar price range and be able to do allot more. I forget the price but the eBook reader from amazon.com cost around the same as an Aspire One and doesn't amount to much as far I a know.

I would love to wait until the the Intel Centrino Atom CPU's or the Dual Core Atom's are released and put into netbooks, but who knows when that will happen for sure. I'll probably just sell this one and upgrade whenever better models are released since I upgrade electronics every year or two anyway.

Is it true though that the Intel Atom based Aspire One cant play xVid videos? If so could I convert them to a format that it can play so I can watch videos at the doctors office when I'm waiting around?

Thanks

TapouT, Sep 22, 2008
  6. TapouT

Grim Squeaker

You need to install the codecs (or vlc) first - but after that they play.
    If you get the linux version, the kde-games and gnome-games packages contain a lot of simple games.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 22, 2008
  7. TapouT

Arcflup

That fella appears to be talking through his arris. I am very impressed with the performance of my AAO 1GB HDD running Onelinux. It handles multimedia very well. As long as you realise that the latest 3d gaming or dvd authoring is out you should be fine.

It's one hell of a versatile eBook reader :D

Arcflup, Sep 22, 2008
  8. TapouT

TapouT

Thanks. ;) Yeah I only wanted basic stuff on it anyway. I just built a desktop to use for anything hard core anyway, I personally wouldn't leave a netbook as my only PC (that's just me). The Aspire One I ordered is the Onyx Black 160GB hard drive 6 cell battery, 1GB ram, windows XP by the way. Supposed to have it this week.

TapouT, Sep 22, 2008
  9. TapouT

dattaway

The Atom is no slow processor. Is the same instruction set as the newer Xeon.

Its all marketing. Intel did this with the Celeron back in its day when it was discovered it had insane overclocking potential.

dattaway, Sep 22, 2008
  10. TapouT

Arcflup

Ah memories,... Abit BH6 300A@450,... Intels entry level cpu outperforming its flagship .... those were the days.

Arcflup, Sep 22, 2008
  11. TapouT

Grim Squeaker

And hey - even if the Atom was intended for mobile phones.. so ;) ?
    My smartphone plays basic videos, mp3s and scummvm (hurrah - Monkey island on a phone) quite well ;)

Grim Squeaker, Sep 22, 2008
  12. TapouT

TapouT

True, I just got side tracked by that dang article I ran across. It made me start to have second thoughts about ordering one and was about to cancel my order. But thanks everyone for the info. ;)

My brother couldn't understand why I would pay $400 for the Aspire One when at the time we discussed it, BestBuy had an Acer 14.1" laptop with AMD athlon X2 mobile CPU, 2Gb memory, DVDRW drive etc. etc. ATI chipset and so on for same price. I said the 14.1" overall size isn't much different than my HP 15.4" I just sold, and I found it almost always sit at home and I didn't take it anywhere because I didn't want to lug it around. For some people they need a powerful laptop and size isn't a concern, but portability means something to me. So I built a desktop for mainstream use and started looking into netbooks for portability (also to replace the bad idea of an overpriced eBook reader). When I told him of the battery life of the 6 cell Acer he was jealous too, since his brand new Toshiba 15.4" laptop barely gets 2.5 hours doing basic stuff.

TapouT, Sep 22, 2008
Ask a Question