Simple Home Network with Limpus?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rabato, Jan 10, 2009.

1. rabato

rabato

Hi, I've got an AAO with Limpus and a couple laptops one with Win2k and XP Home Edition (both with wireless cards)

I would like to create a home network (preferably wireless) with the three or at least the AAO and one of the Windows Laptops. I do not have internet access at home but I do have a wireless router (in case it can do any Macgyver service). I am even ready to just do it via Ethernet cable but I haven't been able with any of the Windows.

Is there a simple way to "see" a shared drive or folder of the laptops or even get adventureous and print through them?
    I tried with XP and I simply don't understand how it works and I HAVE read the guides a million times. Guess I am badly used to OSX simplicity :D
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

rabato, Jan 10, 2009
  2. rabato

yelvington

This should not be a problem. SMB (Windows) networking is well supported by Linux and OSX. Just have all your computers connect to your wireless access point. Enable shares on your Windows boxes. Samba (SMB for Linux -- and OSX) should find them automatically.

No connection to the external Internet is necessary.

yelvington, Jan 12, 2009
  3. rabato

rabato

OK! thanks, I realize the matter has been widely covered already. I just didn't know the key word "SAMBA" :lol:

I was actually trying to find a simple intuitive GUI so I've tried smb4K and seems to be just what needed.
    Thanks again!

rabato, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question