Simpletech 160Gig harddrive

Discussion in 'Linux' started by afjeep, Nov 29, 2008.

1. afjeep

afjeep

ok so i have a 160 gig external simpletech harddrive. is there anyway to make it work with my linux system?

afjeep, Nov 29, 2008
  2. afjeep

niem102

What file system is it using? (you can look this up under properties for the disk when it is plugged in, or you could probably find it somewhere in any manuals it may have come with when you bought it). If it using NTFS (which I believe is most common since that is the typical Windows file system), then as far as I've heard, a Linux OS can only read files from it, not write.

If you can reformat the external hard drive to another file system, however, you may be able to make it work better. I think ext3 is the most common Linux file system. Reformatting would wipe anything you already have saved off of there though, so make sure to back anything up somewhere else.

Otherwise, looking on Google there seems to be some attempts at NTFS support for Linux, but I do not know if/how it would work for Linpus, as I am no Linux expert and have not tried Linpus at all myself.

niem102, Nov 30, 2008
  3. afjeep

RockDoctor

It should just work. If it's not formatted, you should be able to format it from Linux using Gparted. Recommended filesystem types are FAT32 (if you want to be able to use the harddrive with Windows systems also) and ext3 (usable under Windows only with additional drivers; not recommended for you at this time)

RockDoctor, Nov 30, 2008
  4. afjeep

afjeep

reformatting was my first thought but i wanted to make sure i wasnt missing a simpler fix. i havent added anything to it yet so it wouldnt be hard. i guess i'll go that route. thanks for y'alls input.

afjeep, Nov 30, 2008
  5. afjeep

afjeep

ok so i found a MUCH simpler fix. looks like this. sudo yum install fuse fuse-libs ntfs-g3
    took a while on my connection but on a normal connection shouldnt take long. and it works great. i can no read/write to a previously unrecognized NTFS EHD.

afjeep, Dec 1, 2008
  6. afjeep

jinx022

That should likely be ntfs-3g not g3.

More of a problem is that the installation may replace the Acer custom kernel with a standard kernel. Have you noticed any side effects?

jinx022, Dec 4, 2008
  7. afjeep

afjeep

right, i mistyped it. it should be 3g. good call but so far so good. i havent had a problem with anything that i use. mainly skype, messenger, mozilla. vlc player. its mainly a communication tool as i am in a part of the world where it isnt easy to call back home often. even the internet here is sketchy but it seems to do the trick alright. most of the time.

afjeep, Dec 5, 2008
Ask a Question