Skype Audio

Discussion in 'Linux' started by popcycleken, Dec 29, 2008.

1. popcycleken

popcycleken

If you have installed Skype and gotten the audio to work, please help. I installed Mandriva last night, got almost everything working. The last thing I needed to do was to install Skype and get it working. Installed OK, chat works OK. However there is no sound. Further, once Skype is running, cannot get sound from other apps. Totem and Rhythmbox won't see to play at all (clock stalled at zero), and VLC seems to be playing, but no sound. If i quit Skype sometimes the other apps are OK again, but sometimes not. A boot always cures the other apps' sound, but cannot get Skype sound to work.

Tried all the audo devices under Skype -- none produce a sound. No log messages generated, either.

This is a shame, as up til now Mandriva was by far the best distro I have tried on the AAO 110. But calls on Skype are a dealbreaker for me. For anybody else, this is currently the best place to be.

Any ideas? I'd really like this to work both for me and my daughter.

Thanks,

Ken

popcycleken, Dec 29, 2008
  2. popcycleken

popcycleken

OK. Got the audio out to work, tho not quite sure what did it. Only one problem left. Callers cannot hear my voice, tho they can hear dtmf tones if i send them. Mucked with audio controls, none are muted all are set high. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

popcycleken, Dec 30, 2008
  3. popcycleken

lklaus

Well, not really. I'm using ubuntu-eee (soon Easy Peasy), and I got sound working from beginning, sort off. Every other call I try to make skype tells me "problems with audio device". Next time it's working fine. I can't use the internal micro, I have to use a headset micro.

Klaus

lklaus, Dec 30, 2008
  4. popcycleken

popcycleken

OK, finally got it. It is a known bug in Mandriva since at least 2008.1.

For those who need: disable Pulse audio; point Skype audio in at hw; intel,0.. Skype will then work fine. You may need to change the same settings in other sound-oriented applications to get the sound back on them.

Ken

popcycleken, Dec 30, 2008
Ask a Question