Skype error

Discussion in 'Linux' started by gmay00, Jul 10, 2009.

1. gmay00

gmay00

Hey all I just installed Ubuntu on my One and tried installing Skype also. I got the Ubuntu version downloaded and when I try to install it I get Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libqt4-core (>= 4.2.1). I am completely new to Linux/Ubuntu and have no idea what this means...any help please??

gmay00, Jul 10, 2009
  2. gmay00

lotus49

I haven't looked into the specific error but there is a dependency problem here.

First of all, have you made sure that your system is up-to-date? I shall assume you don't know how since you say you are new to Linux so...

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo allows you to run a command with root privileges (like the administrator in XP). It will ask for your password, which will be your normal user password. It probably won't ask the second time. Running these two commands will ensure your system has all the latest patches/updates.

If installing the skype package still results in the error, I recommend you install Skype using a repo (ie software repository) rather than downloading the .deb package from the Skype web site. Doing this is more likely to result in the dependencies being met.

There are instructions on doing this here -> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Skype

I use the Medibuntu repo but I dare say that the official Skype repo will work just as well. If you follow these instructions and it still doesn't work, let us know.

lotus49, Jul 10, 2009
Ask a Question