Skype on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by wispabite, Jun 4, 2009.

1. wispabite

wispabite

I first mentioned this problem on the Skype for Linux blog, and jean-claudelorin thought it might be an Aspire One problem, and I am inclined to agree as they all come with this setup, and I have repeated the unusual behaviour on more than one Linpus machine straight from the box and after various recoveries and setup changes, and the problem is still apparent with no other problems on the machine.

I have a Acer Aspire One with Linpus lite. This has the 1.6Ghz Atom processor and 1.536 GB RAM. I downloaded skype.sh.zip (Version: 2.0.0.72) from http://www.acer.com/aspireone/aspireone ... t.html#002 and tried to make a video call over my 12MB download / 0.6MB upload connection and I just can't get it to work properly. The other party is viewable, but after a second or so becomes pixelated, starts freezing, sometimes my video won't even appear, the voice digitises, and after anything from a few seconds to a minute or so the call is dropped. It appears as if the connection is not fast enough, but it is, and Skype on the Mac and Windows works flawlessly!

Has anyone else experienced this problem and/or know a fix?

wispabite, Jun 4, 2009
  2. wispabite

Darryl

Darryl, Jun 4, 2009
  3. wispabite

wispabite

Thanks for the repsonse Darryl, but I have actually completely changed the desktop now and pulled the panel off and now just have the standard xfce desktop and an xfce "start" menu. I have installed Skype easily, and I can get it working, and I have not updated it, but it is just that the video just does NOT work properly and drops the call after anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes!

wispabite, Jun 4, 2009
Ask a Question