Discussion in 'Linux' started by pottsy10, Oct 26, 2009.

1. pottsy10

pottsy10

I have tried downloading skype, it says it has downloaded but when i try to open it this message appears
    You are attempting to run "system-install-packages" which requires administrative privileges, but more information is needed in order to do so.
    Authenticating as 'root'
    then ask for a password.

Has anybody any idea what i should then do as I don't have a password.

pottsy10, Oct 26, 2009
  2. pottsy10

Darryl

Try this,,,press alt+f2 and type
    Code:
    xterm
    and hit run...
    in terminal type:
    sudo su (enter)
    passwd (enter)
    then it will ask you for a new one. Type it in once then it will ask you to confirm, it will not show on screen
    Above all use the search facility this has been answered many times!
    i would also advise you take a look at some of the stuff here, especially the advanced mode on page 2 as its unlikely you'll be able to access your new app without doing so....
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05/ten_aspire_one_tips/
    regards
    D

Darryl, Oct 27, 2009
  3. pottsy10

pottsy10

Thanks Darryl
    This worked fine, but i now have another problem. Managed to download Skype and went into sudo mousepad etc as it said. Have got the skype logo under connect come up but it won't open any idea?

I love my AA1 but it takes some getting used to for a novice like me. Had only just got used to windows!

Many thanks
    P

pottsy10, Oct 28, 2009
  4. pottsy10

Darryl

Use mousepad to open the file skype.desktop by entering this in a terminal..
    Code:
    mousepad /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop
    this will open the file where there will be a few lines, the fourth one down should say...
    Exec=skype
    if its not there you can edit the file (and put it in) by putting the word sudo at the beginning of the above command to get...
    Code:
    sudo mousepad /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop
    sudo allows you to temporarily become "root" and allows you administrator rights for that command, use it carefully. you may also try running skype to see if its ok from the command line by simply entering the word skype in the terminal and hitting enter.
    Easy
    D

Darryl, Oct 31, 2009
  5. pottsy10

pottsy10

Hi Darryl

I know I am completely Stupid where this is concerned but got to the Skype desktop exec=skype what do I then do, I am very new to this sort of thing.

Sorry! :oops:

pottsy10, Nov 4, 2009
  6. pottsy10

Darryl

Ang on....
    did you download skype from here....?
    http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/files/connect.html
    If not, uninstall skype using your package manager and use the above link. Its an older version of skype that will work and there'll be a few other goodies there too. just extract it and click on the .sh file. If You've downloaded from the official skype site that'll be the problem. The new version skype is for fedora 9 and 10, Linpus is based on fedora 8.
    and read this...http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=469
    Do the above first before bothering with the following

....So I'll presume the line "exec=skype" is there then? You haven't really clarified that. Did you try to run skype from the command line as I suggested? can you upload a screenshot of the file to here? press the key next to f12 (prt/SysRq) to take a screenshot on your A1, navigate to this thread, hit reply and there's n "upload attachment" tab. Hit that and browse to the screenshot on your computer and it'll post the picture here. If you can post that and an image of part of your group.app.xml, that shows skype (presumably you edited section 5 of this file to get an icon on your desktop) we might figure it out.
    Regards
    D

Darryl, Nov 5, 2009
Ask a Question