SlCKB0Y Kernel 2.6.29.1 Downloads - Update!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SlCKB0Y, Jan 11, 2009.

1. SlCKB0Y

jango

Re: SlCKB0Y Kernel 2.6.28 Downloads - Update with Website!

I dont understand, why it works fine with me????

jango, Apr 9, 2009
  2. SlCKB0Y

Sarvatt

do you not use the pciehp_force=1 workaround jango? it shouldn't be needed on the stock jaunty kernel but some people blindly follow old guides and and it and it causes corruption :D

Sarvatt, Apr 9, 2009
  3. SlCKB0Y

jango

I dont use any tweak, maybe is the reason. :D

jango, Apr 9, 2009
  4. SlCKB0Y

hardran3

I tested suspending with a stock 9.04 beta install, home on SDHC. I finished the install, rebooted, suspended. My SDHC was trashed. I would really like to know what you are doing to make it work Jango :)

hardran3, Apr 10, 2009
  5. SlCKB0Y

Chycky

I installed CrunchBang Linux on my AA1 110. I used this guide to install CruchBang on my AA1: http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto/aspireone
    When I come to the part that tells me to install Sickboys kernel, then the command doesn't work. To solve this I went to the Sickboy web site (http://www.aspireonekernel.com/#Downloads) and manually downloaded the kernel and the headers from the site. Then I installed them from Home directory on my AA1 by dubbleclicking in the .deb-files.

The problem is that something happened to my mobile connection after the installation of Sickboy's kernel. The Network Manager (the software for managing network connection in Ubuntu/CrunchBang) seems to have a different GUI and I cannot connect to Internet using my K610i SonyEricsson mobile. I try to add a new connection and so on, but nothing seems to help.

Why can't I install Sickboy's kernel the way is says in the guide?
    Why isn't the mobile Internet connection work on CrunchBang after installation of Sickboy's kernel?

I used Ubuntu 8.10 before and I think it was the same problem connecting my AA1 by using my K610 SE mobile after an installation of Sickboy's kernel. Why isn't this working either?

Chycky, Apr 10, 2009
  6. SlCKB0Y

argee

The 8gb flash version of the One, called the A110L, comes in TWO hardware variants.
    The difference is that one of them, the early production, has both card slots using chipsets
    from the same manufacturer. The later production run uses two different manufacturers.

The new kernels, including Sickboys, handle the newer version correctly, and both readers
    come up normally without any tweaks.

The earlier version, which most kernel writers ignore, needs the "pciehp pciehp_force=1"
    statement for the right hand card reader to come up when the computer is booted without
    a card in the slot.

A bit of research will reveal all, as this has been discussed in the Debian lists.

I *think* that using the "pciehp pciehp_force=1" option in the later hardware version is
    what causes the diffculties.

You can find out which one you have by using "lsusb" with cards in the slots. It will reveal
    the name of the manufacturer of the slot chipset. (both readers must be working for this
    to work, or boot up limpus).

In the Debian lists there is a fix that will work with either chipset, but apparently needs the
    kernel to be recompiled (again!). Sickboy's kernel is not at that point yet, as far as I know
    because my right hand reader does not come up when booted, unless I have the
    module "pciehp pciehp_force=1" in the /etc/modules file.

Mine One is an early model A110L

argee, Apr 10, 2009
  7. SlCKB0Y

jango

Maybe because i dint do any tweaks... i dont now, but it works for me :D my rc.local is like that:

jango, Apr 10, 2009
  8. SlCKB0Y

lotus49

I tried suspending with an SDHC card mounted on /home with the stock 9.04 kernel and it didn't work. It only wiped the partition table which was easy to restore, unlike with Intrepid where it totally trashed the contents of the card.

However, with the sickboy kernel (for which I thank you sickboy) it seems to work perfectly. I still don't have the use of the right hand card reader unless there is a card in the slot at boot time but using the left hand card mounted on /home works fine suspending and resuming with no apparent problems. I wouldn't say my testing had been rigorous but in two days of use, I have experienced no problems so far.

The 2.6.29 kernel is expected to have code to sort this last problem so with any amount of luck, we are almost there getting Ubuntu working fully (after owning my One for 9 months).

lotus49, Apr 10, 2009
  9. SlCKB0Y

jango

what software do you use to backup home?

jango, Apr 10, 2009
  10. SlCKB0Y

mzc

looking forward on your upcoming release :) it's good that there are people like you working on this and sharing it with others like me that does not have the time to help ourselves.

mzc, Apr 10, 2009
  11. SlCKB0Y

mzc

9.04 has been changing daily.. we really cant which cant work or will until its official release. Personally, I also experience crash and data loss in some of the applications.

mzc, Apr 10, 2009
  12. SlCKB0Y

Sarvatt

I have an early AOA150, using my kernels the SD slots do not show up as usb devices as all to lsusb, and they are the same devices. no corruption problems and I dont even use pciehp (it doesn't load anymore because it isn't needed ever since 2.6.29 rc1 or so)

04:00.0 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. SD/MMC Host Controller [197b:2382]
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:015b]
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19
    Region 0: Memory at 74100300 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Expansion ROM at 73100000 [disabled] [size=32K]
    Capabilities: [a4] Power Management version 3
    Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
    Capabilities: [80] Express (v1) Endpoint, MSI 00
    DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
    ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
    DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
    RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
    MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
    DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend-
    LnkCap: Port #1, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Latency L0 unlimited, L1 unlimited
    ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
    LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
    ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
    LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
    Capabilities: [94] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Address: fffffffc Data: 0000
    Kernel driver in use: sdhci-pci

01:00.0 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. SD/MMC Host Controller [197b:2382]
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:015b]
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
    Region 0: Memory at 77300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Capabilities: [a4] Power Management version 3
    Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
    Capabilities: [80] Express (v1) Endpoint, MSI 00
    DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
    ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
    DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
    RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
    MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
    DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-
    LnkCap: Port #1, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Latency L0 unlimited, L1 unlimited
    ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
    LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
    ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
    LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
    Capabilities: [94] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Address: fffffffc Data: 0000
    Kernel driver in use: sdhci-pci

[ 3.383636] sdhci: Secure Digital Host Controller Interface driver
    [ 3.383640] sdhci: Copyright(c) Pierre Ossman
    [ 3.383675] sdhci-pci 0000:04:00.0: SDHCI controller found [197b:2382] (rev 0)
    [ 3.383704] sdhci-pci 0000:04:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
    [ 3.383774] sdhci-pci 0000:04:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    [ 3.383935] sdhci-pci 0000:04:00.2: SDHCI controller found [197b:2381] (rev 0)
    [ 3.383961] sdhci-pci 0000:04:00.2: PCI INT A -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
    [ 3.383974] sdhci-pci 0000:04:00.2: Refusing to bind to secondary interface.
    [ 3.383988] sdhci-pci 0000:04:00.2: PCI INT A disabled

(nothing in the second that boot)

01:00.0 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. SD/MMC Host Controller
    01:00.2 SD Host controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Standard SD Host Controller
    01:00.3 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. MS Host Controller
    01:00.4 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. xD Host Controller
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)
    04:00.0 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. SD/MMC Host Controller
    04:00.2 SD Host controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Standard SD Host Controller
    04:00.3 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. MS Host Controller
    04:00.4 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. xD Host Controller

Sarvatt, Apr 10, 2009
  13. SlCKB0Y

RockDoctor

I'm seeing something very similar - mfg date given as 0809. I've got the 120GB HDD/WinXP model. This is my third unit (first two died, so I returned them), and haven't loading Linpus on it. Does this mean that if we had a working xD kernel module, that both slots would be able to read xD cards?

RockDoctor, Apr 10, 2009
  14. SlCKB0Y

Sarvatt

0808 manufacturing date here too, you know I haven't tried an XD in both slots so thats a good question :D I can't find my xd card at the moment but when I do I'll try it out. I suspect it doesn't have the connectors inside for it though and is just enabling it because the specs for the chipset have it.

Sarvatt, Apr 10, 2009
  15. SlCKB0Y

brentn

I just upgraded to Jaunty yesterday, and installed the latest sickboy kernel (was using his kernel previously in 8.10).

Everything appears to work well, except CPU Frequency Scaling (panel applet gives an error when logging in).
    The generic kernel that installs with Jaunty appears to support it just fine, so unfortunately I am using that kernel for the time being, until I figure this out.

Since it works with the Ubuntu kernel, and not with Sickboy's kernel, I am guessing it is a kernel/module issue.

Not sure if there is a module I have forgotten to load, or if the kernel just doesn't support it.

Has anyone else found a solution to this problem (or can they confirm that it is not just my machine?)

brentn, Apr 10, 2009
  16. SlCKB0Y

lotus49

rsync is my favourite backup and copying utility and is fairly easy to use and quick.

lotus49, Apr 10, 2009
  17. SlCKB0Y

Sarvatt

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
    whats listed?

try adding acpi_cpufreq and cpufreq_userspace to your /etc/modules (and optionally /etc/initramfs-tools/modules then run sudo update-initramfs), just looked at the config they are loading them as modules and it might not be loading.

Sarvatt, Apr 10, 2009
  18. SlCKB0Y

brentn

Thanks - those were the missing modules. Adding them to /etc/modules fixed it. I wonder why they used to be detected, but are not anymore?

Btw - scaling_available_governers contains: userspace ondemand performance

brentn, Apr 11, 2009
  19. SlCKB0Y

Sarvatt

most likely it probably loaded them automatically in 8.10 but they changed the kernel config in jaunty to build them in instead of as modules so it assumes thats still the case and doesn't load them anymore. that or you dont have the cpufreq utils installed anymore :D

Sarvatt, Apr 11, 2009
  20. SlCKB0Y

RockDoctor

I'm pretty sure no recent kernel has the xD module. The module used in the Linpus kernel was rejected for various reasons by the kernel developers; it compiled for me with kernel 2.6.26 after a few tweaks (hard coding several values), but didn't work.

RockDoctor, Apr 11, 2009
Ask a Question