SlCKB0Y Kernel 2.6.29.1 Downloads - Update!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SlCKB0Y, Jan 11, 2009.

1. SlCKB0Y

kevinrs

Hi, I'm now using the 2.6.29.1 kernel. Nice job. I have better wifi performance as well as better battery life.

I do need 3G support for when I'm away from wifi so I just reboot and select the Ubuntu kernel.

Nice one Sickboy! I look forward to testing further kernel updates. Thanks for making the kernels available.

kevinrs, Jun 26, 2009
  2. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

check in /etc/rc.local

make sure you *dont* have the following line.
    Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate_max > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
    now ondemand should work

SlCKB0Y, Jun 27, 2009
  3. SlCKB0Y

zoof

+1

zoof, Jul 2, 2009
  4. SlCKB0Y

robby

I've since managed to sort it out. I've been having a play with crunchbang and using the sickboy kernel.

I got it working by building acerhdf myself.
    1) I made sure it wasn't loaded - "sudo modprobe -r acerhdf"
    1) I did a "modprobe -l | grep acerhdf" - this told me where the included acerhdf module was. I then deleted it. (the file is something like acerhdf.ko)
    3) I did a depmod -a command (not sure what this does exactly - think it rebulids the module catalogue?)

we now have the latest sickboy kernel without acerhdf - so I then went and built it myself after doing a "sudo apt-get install build-essential" ( - I think this gets the libraries for building things). I detailed the process here:
    http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic ... ne/page/3/

and hey presto a quiet acer aspire one. You'll notice from my comments that I'm by no means an expert and cobbled the above together from reading posts, poking into scripts and applying a bit of logical thinking. In any case i made sure I BACKED UP my AAO before commencing the above in case I completely F.U.B.A.R my computer. I used aa1backup (http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... ackup.html)

Hope that sorts it out until the new kernel is released. I'm getting into this linux lark!

robby, Jul 2, 2009
  5. SlCKB0Y

zoof

After I posted, I performed a similar exercise but instead of deleting acerhdf.ko, I copied over it.

zoof, Jul 2, 2009
  6. SlCKB0Y

robby

much more sensible! When I wrote the other post I was farting about trying to see if it was the .28 or .29 kernel and the .28 didn't have the module ready built. Sorted. I guess in the next kernel build that module will be moved to /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/misc/ - I don't know why it wouldn't work from the other location though. oh well.

robby, Jul 2, 2009
  7. SlCKB0Y

zoof

Hi Sickboy,

Just curious but why was unionfs omitted from your latest kernel? It's very useful for SSDs because I can mount /var/log and /var/cache as unionfs with /tmp (which is tmpfs) and /var/log=ro and /var/cache=ro so that I don't need a script to recreate the directory structure.

Thanks,
    zoof

zoof, Jul 2, 2009
  8. SlCKB0Y

tiprya

Hey, is there a way to get VIrtualbox installed with this kernel?

It fails at Debconf trying to compile the kernel module and gives me this in the log:

A bit of a run-through to get this to work would be very much appreciated, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff.

Cheers, thanks in advance for any help.

tiprya, Jul 28, 2009
  9. SlCKB0Y

danielsbrewer

I am using linux-image-2.6.29.1.20090414.sickboy_2.6.29.1.sickboy.20090414_i386.deb on UNR jaunty on an acer 150 and acerhdf just doesn't seem to be working. I can see it is there with lsmod but the fan just keeps on whirling. I compiled acerhdf for the stock kernel and that did stop the fan going all the time. Any ideas what is going wrong?

I don't think I can compile it because I do not have the headers for that kernel

danielsbrewer, Jul 28, 2009
  10. SlCKB0Y

robby

my posts 6 up didn't help then ;)

robby, Jul 28, 2009
  11. SlCKB0Y

danielsbrewer

Afraid not. I might have got it wrong but that approach only seems to work with the 2.6.28 kernels.

I fixed it by adding the following to /etc/rc.local:
    Code:
    echo kernel > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/mode

danielsbrewer, Jul 28, 2009
  12. SlCKB0Y

tiprya

It's possible I didn't install the kernel headers when I installed the kernel ages ago.

Unfortunately Sickboy's downloads are down.

Does anyone have a copy of the headers: linux-headers-2.6.28sickboy-kuki_0.4_i386.deb

That they can upload for me?

Would be VERY much appreciated.

Cheers

tiprya, Jul 28, 2009
  13. SlCKB0Y

Nudnik_de

I had the same issues 2.6.29.1 Kernel. I switched back to 2.6.28.9.20090416.kuki that solved the acerhdf problem and undervolting works as well.

Nudnik_de, Jul 30, 2009
  14. SlCKB0Y

danielsbrewer

What is the best way to get the madwifi drivers working on UNR 9.04 using Sickboy's kernel? I am having some issues with the wifi randomly dropping and not restarting until a reboot and was hoping to test whether the madwifi drivers would improve matters.

danielsbrewer, Aug 3, 2009
  15. SlCKB0Y

zoof

I had the same problem although I do not use UNR. The madwifi drivers are pretty straightforward to install: http://aspireonezg5.wordpress.com/ near the bottom of the page.

zoof, Aug 3, 2009
  16. SlCKB0Y

ryanrich

Hey guys,

Is there any benefit to installing this custom kernel besides decreased boot time?

Great forum by the way, and great work in the Linux community SICKBOY!

ryanrich, Aug 5, 2009
  17. SlCKB0Y

zoof

Suspend works with sickboy's current kernel whereas not with the stock kernel and I believe the ath5k wireless module also works better than the one that ships with the stock kernel. I've stuck with the stock kernel though because I like unionfs for my ssd.

zoof, Aug 5, 2009
  18. SlCKB0Y

jango

jango, Aug 5, 2009
  19. SlCKB0Y

ryanrich

Suspend as in regular system suspend? Mine works fine under the standard kernel... :?

ryanrich, Aug 5, 2009
  20. SlCKB0Y

zoof

Might be the madwifi diver I built and installed. Dunno but it doesn't work for me.

zoof, Aug 5, 2009
Ask a Question