SlCKB0Y Kernel 2.6.29.1 Downloads - Update!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SlCKB0Y, Jan 11, 2009.

1. SlCKB0Y

hardran3

Re: SlCKB0Y/Kuki kernel 2.6.28 Release

This. I put up a custom kernel thread a while back, with links to the Master Kernel Thread on the Ubuntu forums. 4th post was "Can you upload .debs? I still was using my own spins, up till sickboys newest version with phc, thought I should test it, and he is doing an amazing job.

Anyways, I say make what you want sickboy, If people don't like it, they can always run the stock kernel, or god forbid, learn something. :)

And if you want to try compiling your own custom kernel, but you are afraid of the CLI, try Kernelcheck, a GUI for compiling your own custom kernel.

hardran3, Jan 21, 2009
  2. SlCKB0Y

spinnekopje

I never tried Sickboy's kernel until now, but first I tried to compile my own little kernel. That one gave me a massive time gain compared to the standard intrepid kernel (about 20 seconds). I switched from my own one to sickboy's kernel because wifi didn't work...

Now I downloaded the 2.6.28.1 sources and in the changelog I saw something about the ath5k driver. Now I still need to find out how to add the patches for the wifi led and the undervolting. I'll start looking for those right after posting this one.
    I like to compile myself because I think my name is nicer to see in the uname -r :lol: Another reason is that I will remove more things I don't use anyway.

After that I might also do automatic login without gdm and compile a kernel for my girlfriends laptop which is also an acer with almost the same hardware (life isn't always that hard).

edited: running my own kernel now with 1'11 from grub to showing netbook menu with automatic login. I removed something I shouldn't have, so I'm compiling again now. (I couldn't mount my sd-cards) btw: standard was something about 1'44.

spinnekopje, Jan 22, 2009
  3. SlCKB0Y

jango

What is "undervolting"???
    Why cant i ear the login sound with the new version kernel??? :shock:

jango, Jan 22, 2009
  4. SlCKB0Y

Guest Guest

Just wanted to give props to Sickboy on this kernel. I just got my AAO with Win XP installed and was looking for a quick way to get Ubuntu Netbook Remix up and running. I installed the latest UNR version, and then simply installed Sickboy's kernel and BAM! I instantly had a working OS. Card readers work, wifi (including LED) work, just perfect. So just wanted to say thanks to Sickboy, you rock!! :D

Guest, Jan 22, 2009
  5. SlCKB0Y

rlaliberty

This is not working for me. Could this have to do with using 8.04 with Linux4One? Should I install UNR 8.10? I'm terribly sick of 1 min + boot times.

rlaliberty, Jan 22, 2009
  6. SlCKB0Y

SixedUp

Just another vote of thanks to sickboy for creating and maintaining this kernel. It does everything I need, by making all the hardware "just work", and improving Ubuntu boot times enormously. Thanks!

I've seen that there are some people still having some problems with the card readers in the One, so I thought that you'd be interested in my recent experience. I've got a handful of 2GB microSD cards and SD adaptors; a mix of Kingston and "no-name". Under the 0.1 sickboy kernel I got both card readers hot-plugging successfully with a Kingston microSD card and adaptor, and this continued working just fine when I upgraded to the 0.2 sickboy kernel earlier this week.

Then today I found that I couldn't get the left card reader to work; -84 and -110 errors, no automount, etc etc. The right card reader however, still worked perfectly. On closer examination, I found I was using a "no-name" microSD card in a Kingston SD adaptor. I switched it into a "no-name" adaptor, and suddenly I was able to use it in both card readers perfectly again.

So it looks (to me) as though some of these adaptors can have an effect on the working of the card readers. I guess it must relate to timings etc. However, this could well mean that real SD cards that are marginal quality (ie, cheap?!) may also have problems like this too. MIght be worth bearing in mind if you've tried all the guides, and still can't get your card readers to (apparently) work properly.

SixedUp, Jan 22, 2009
  7. SlCKB0Y

ajayre

I don't think that is enough information for anyone to help you. Perhaps you might want to consider installing bootchart (apt-get install bootchart) and posting your image so everyone can see what is going on?

Actually I would be very interested in seeing other people's bootchart images using the stock kernels and custom kernels. :)

Andy

ajayre, Jan 22, 2009
  8. SlCKB0Y

edkmho

First of all, thank you very much Sickboy for the providing such a great customized kernel for us. Thanks.

I have a minor problem with the newest kernel, it won't want to mount a nfs drive from my desktop (ubuntu intrepid). The strange thing was that if i select the kernel 2.26.27.9 generic from the grub, it will mount ok. If i am not mistaken the mount also works on the previous Sickboy 0.1 version.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the new 0.2 version. Please help.

Thanks.

edkmho, Jan 22, 2009
  9. SlCKB0Y

Kravchenko

Previous SICKBOY kernel works well for me.
    But this has a strange problem. Wifi works for about an hour and turns off.
    It remains off after reboot too.

It returns to live only after turn off, plug of the ac power and batery.
    Looks like memory leak in wifi device with this ath5 module.

Kravchenko, Jan 22, 2009
  10. SlCKB0Y

jango

I cant ear the login sound with the new version kernel??? :shock: does everyone have this problem too?

jango, Jan 22, 2009
  11. SlCKB0Y

draft

Sickboy, thanks for your work! I have tested PHC to lower the power consumption. I used the linux-phc-optimize.bash script to figure out the right vid. I ended up having "12:0 10:0 8:0 6:0", so 700mV for all frequecies (needed to change -lt to -le in the linux-phc-optimize.bash script in line 167). I ran some tests to see the power consumption:

800MHZ
    "12:0 10:0 8:0 6:0", burnMMX, 10.3W
    "12:27 10:23 8:19 6:15", burnMMX, 10.3W
    "12:0 10:0 8:0 6:0", idle, 8.7W
    "12:27 10:23 8:19 6:15", idle, 8.7W

1.6GHZ
    "12:0 10:0 8:0 6:0", burnMMX, 10.7-10.9W
    "12:27 10:23 8:19 6:15", burnMMX, 11.6-11.8W
    "12:0 10:0 8:0 6:0", idle, 8.7W
    "12:27 10:23 8:19 6:15", idle, 8.7W

So, I can confirm that PHC can save power if CPU is used and powertop reports the power consumption correctly. However, I don't see why the Atom processor has speedstep. If the processor is idle, for 800MHZ and 1.6GHZ, power consumption is 8.7W.

draft, Jan 22, 2009
  12. SlCKB0Y

jango

Can someone explain to me what does it works " Support for undervolting - decreased heat and power consumption"...?
    Must we do something to config undervolting???

Thanks

jango, Jan 22, 2009
  13. SlCKB0Y

Wii_Manic

I've just tried the above command and got no result back in the terminal.
    If I boot the netbook with an SD Card in the right hand slot it is recognised, but if I boot up and then try to use the same card it isn't recognised..

Any ideas ??

TomT - posting from son's account !!

Wii_Manic, Jan 22, 2009
  14. SlCKB0Y

rlaliberty

any reason that this kernel wouldn't work in the latest version of linux mint?

rlaliberty, Jan 23, 2009
  15. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

try it! let us know how you go.

SlCKB0Y, Jan 23, 2009
  16. SlCKB0Y

rlaliberty

will do! partitioning the drive now and then installing mint.

rlaliberty, Jan 23, 2009
  17. SlCKB0Y

rlaliberty

it seems to be working fine. wifi is up and running. gotta check boot time but it doesn't seem to be tooooooo great. wifi light seems good. cant check the sd drives. no cards currently.

rlaliberty, Jan 23, 2009
  18. SlCKB0Y

draft

Yes, you have to config it, to make it work. There's a good tutorial: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786402. Sickboy did step 1 and 2 for you, so you can directly go to step 3.

draft, Jan 23, 2009
  19. SlCKB0Y

edkmho

Sickboy,

I have previously posted that after installing the 0.2 version the nfs mount of my desktop share drive wasn't working. I have gone back to 0.1 version of your kernel and it is working fine with it. Therefore i will stay with the current version and until some sort of resolution is found.

Anyhow, you have done a great job and I am very grateful for all your effort, thanks man.

Thanks to all that had share their invaluable experience.

edkmho, Jan 23, 2009
  20. SlCKB0Y

PirraDoZe

still doesn't support virtualbox (vmdrv)? :(

PirraDoZe, Jan 23, 2009
Ask a Question