Smartboard, SAMBA and Tsclient

Discussion in 'Linux' started by riw20, Jan 9, 2009.

1. riw20

riw20

I acquired an Linpus-based AA1 for my wife for Christmas. She is a teacher and loves the form factor and the speed it starts up. I've managed to get most of the apps she used to use on Windows working, but have a few I can't seem to get running, including by trawling for people who've tried before. I'm a Linux newbie. Happy to play with command line stuff, but need step by step instructions! All offers of help much appreciated:

1) Smartboard (interactive whiteboard used by teachers). You can get Linux software from http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/Supp ... 0Linux.htm. I can't get it to install.

2) Tsclient: I've installed Rdesktop from the AA1 support site to get Windows Remote Desktop functionality (for some reasons schools seem to love using this as a way of remotely accessing servers), and this works with a command line string. Would prefer to get graphical interface working. I've seen and tried RPM installation instructions, but seem to get problems (downloaded filename seems to end with .src.rpm rather than .i386.rpm which instructions seem to need). I get the feeling I'm doing something numpty, but can't work it out.

3) SAMBA. I've got a NAS device at home which I connect windows machines to using SAMBA. Can't seem to find a way to do this for the AA1.

It's a great little device, but if I could sort these out it would be perfect.

Thanks
    Richard

riw20, Jan 9, 2009
  2. riw20

Beagleux

I have a rdesktop.desktop file located in my /usr/share/applications/ folder. This is a java app and seems to be working fine and having a gui. I think this was allready installed on the computer when i got.

Beagleux, Jan 10, 2009
  3. riw20

yodersj

1) For Smarboard, it looks like you'll need the 9.7 version. The reason is the requirements for v10 call for Fedora 9 and Linpus is based on Fedora 8. From what little the "read me" file says the download will contain package files that use the Autopackage format. It sounds like it comes with an install script that will install Autopackage for you. I've not used it, but this page might be of help figuring things out: http://autopackage.org/docs/howto-i...e.org/kde3/en/kdenetwork/krdc/index.html]Krdc when I want a GUI for my remote desktop connections. However, installing it will install some of the KDE basic components. But if you want to go the konqueror route mentioned below you'll get it anyway.

3) For using Samba to access Windows shares, there are a few ways to go:
    - Using the command "mount" in a terminal. This method has shown up in the Beginner -> Linux section a few times.
    - Using the GUI program smb4k. This will provide computer browse ability and do the "mount" command for located shares. This program can be installed using "yum" or the GUI add/remove software.
    - Using konqueror as a file manager. A search should turn up some of the threads here on how to install and use it. I prefer KDE as my window and desktop manager, so I use it all the time. A Windows share can be accessed by typing "smb://[host_or_ip]/[share_name]" in the URL bar. Again, installing this will require installing some of the KDE basic components.

yodersj, Jan 11, 2009
  4. riw20

riw20

Thanks for the replies. By way of update

I managed to figure out Tsclient install so that works fine now, and I've even got the icon into the Linpus GUI (I had made a numpty error and downloaded the wrong file!).

I've also partially worked out the samba issue using the "sudo mount -cifs etc." command line. I needed to add "-o nounix" to the command line string to make it work, which apparently gets around some bugs in interfacing with Linux systems. However, I still need to figure out how to make it mount permanently, as I currently have to redo it every time I turn the machine on (which is better than not available at all)

Hopefully I'll have time to try out the Smartboard tips when I get back home tonight

riw20, Jan 12, 2009
  5. riw20

yodersj

yodersj, Jan 13, 2009
  6. riw20

riw20

Not the best evening! I tried installing D3lphin and SMB4K, which somehow completely messed up my AA1. I tried undoing stuff, which made it worse... I ended up spending a fair proportion of the evening reinstalling back to factory defaults and getting back to where I started!! I'm still trying to recall how I got my Samsung network printer working in the first place...

I'll try getting the fstab approach approach to SAMBA mounts working - looks like just what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can put an icon into the linpus GUI to link directly to the mount? If I could get an icon on the GUI to actually mount the network drive and then open it, that would be a perfectly decent alternative to an fstab approach as well.

riw20, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question