smb:/// not working

Discussion in 'Linux' started by joevai, Sep 4, 2008.

1. joevai

joevai

Hi,
    I've seen that on my AAO with Linpus, some samba packages are installed.
    But if I open Thunar and in location bar I write smb:///ip it doesn't work.
    I'm missing some other samba package or there is no way to do this?

Thanx in advance

joevai, Sep 4, 2008
  2. joevai

ichbinesderelch

you have to start the samba service, not sure howto do this on linpus, and you have to write a samba config file for storing files on your laptop. maybe some redhat samba wiki will give you more infos

ichbinesderelch, Sep 4, 2008
  3. joevai

Praxis

Praxis, Sep 5, 2008
  4. joevai

Praxis

Now that I've actually had an Aspire One in hand for a couple of days I see there are some wrinkles on that advice.

pyNeighborhood works well, but it isn't in the repository. See Fabien's post on this thread for excellent installation and setup instructions:
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=89&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Failed+to+mount

As to starting shares from the /etc/fstab file, since Linpus deletes your /etc/hosts file every time it boots make sure your fstab uses an IP address rrather than a hostname to start a share. Also, networking isn't actually started until after the fstab has mounted whatever it is going to mount. So I currently have to log in as root to a xterm terminal and use tthe command 'mount -a' to mount my samba shares, a PITA. Hopefully I'll figure out some way around that. Luckily, since Linpus comes with almost no security (it automatically boots up to the GUI and you can get a root prompt and issue "sudo" commands without a password), it should be easy, just a matter of figuring out how to automatically execute a simple script that says "sudo mount -a" at the right time.

Praxis, Sep 14, 2008
  5. joevai

KGB

Network integration in lipus is also discussed here http://gborn.blogger.de/stories/1196228/ (but only in German). I used two helpful additions system-config-samba and konqueror to improve network access.

KGB, Sep 14, 2008
  6. joevai

Praxis

Scheiss. Mein Deutsch schlect ist, ich kann nicht das site verstehen. Ich spreche Deutsch wie ein eingeboren..., aus Madagaskar.

Praxis, Sep 15, 2008
  7. joevai

blackhawk

smb:/ protocol is work, but on Konqueror :lol: I have KDE on my AA1 right now, XFCE not satisfied me on too many aspect.
    --
    KDE lover

blackhawk, Sep 15, 2008
  8. joevai

JoaoMachado

What exactly are you trying to do? For instance, I too thought that it was odd not to be able to access my network shares using SMB!

I have a NAS running on my network, (Western Digital NetCenter), and I just wanted to access all of the files/music/videos on my network shared folder.
    Here is what you have to do in Linpus:

First, create a new folder in your home directory, and for this case I used "netfolder"
    This will be the folder you mount the network folder to. In this case you would wind up with a path of /home/user/netfolder

Open a terminal window
    Type the command
    change the 192.168.XXX.XXX to what ever the IP address is of your server, and change the "sharedfolder" to the name of what ever folder is being shared on the network.

Works good, now I just need to make a script to mount it only when I am at home, or just keep the command in a text file and paste it when you want to.

Hope this helps..

JoaoMachado, Sep 22, 2008
  9. joevai

DrDigital

I can mount my NAS using the mount command as above (except you need -t before cifs) and I can see the mounted files just fine in the terminal but when I use the thurnar file manager in the netfolder directory it never shows any files or directories...

help!

DrDigital, Sep 26, 2008
  10. joevai

rbil

Try mounting to: /mnt/home/netfolder

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 26, 2008
  11. joevai

JoaoMachado

Thunar will try to use "My Disk:///NetFolder" on the address bar, delete it and use absolute path ie: "/home/user/netfolder" and Thunar should show all of the files..

And yes you are right, you do need the "-t" before cifs, sorry about that.!

Joao

JoaoMachado, Oct 3, 2008
Ask a Question