SMPlayer 0.6.7 + MPlayer r29169

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Guest, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

For what it's worth, I compiled the latest versions of SMPlayer and MPlayer for my AspireOne (with stock Linpus).
    I'm using it now instead of VLC 0.8.7 and really like it. The picture seems better to me (sharper and more saturated). The navigation (fast forward/rewind) is much more precise and responsive (in VLC it was too rough and sometimes didn't work at all). And the subtitles are much nicer...

If you wish - you can try it on your own as follows (sorry, but I was lazy to build a proper RPM):
    1) Download the file from http://www.filefactory.com/file/agb09fb/n/smplayer_tgz to your AspireOne and rename it into smplayer.tgz
    2) Install it via the following commands:
    Code:
    cd /
    sudo tar zxvf smplayer.tgz
    3) Add smplayer to the Fun menu via the following command:
    Code:
    dca add 12 "file='/usr/local/share/applications/smplayer.desktop'" 
    4) Start smplayer, go to the Preferences menu (e.g. via Ctrl-P) and in General -> Paths -> Select the MPlayer executable change mplayer into /usr/local/bin/mplayer

A few more technical notes (for those who care:)
    *) The mplayer binary is installed in /usr/local/bin - so it doesn't overwrite the "stock" mplayer binary and doesn't break stock Media Master application (not that I find it very useful - but anyway)
    *) The following "output drivers" (configured via General -> Video) work best on my AspireOne: xv, gl(fast) and gl2
    *) You may need to install some additional RPMs (that I installed while compiling the binaries and didn't took a note of) - e.g. you most certainly need qt4 library 'cause smplayer is built against it; use sudo yum install qt4 command if qt4 is not installed on your AspireOne (I guess that you need to have fedora 8 repository configuraed for this - but if you installed VLC as per macles* instructions you probably already have it set up)
    *) Latest version of smplayer (compared to the one available in Fedora 8 repositories) has some nice additions, namely ability to define default SSA/ASS subtitle size and "add black borders when in fullscreen" option that helps to move subtitles below the image

That's it.
    Enjoy,
    Alex

Guest, Apr 15, 2009
  2. Guest

UnforgiveN

Hey, thanks for this, but do you mind uploading it somewhere else ?
    FileFactory's servers are always full ;/

UnforgiveN, Apr 16, 2009
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Guest, Apr 16, 2009
  4. Guest

UnforgiveN

Oh, gr8! Thanks ;)

I will report back as soon as I try it!
    If this works, I'll build a statue for you or something like this :)

Thanks again,
    Jim

UnforgiveN, Apr 16, 2009
  5. Guest

UnforgiveN

Well... It Works :D :D

For some reason I couldn't compile SMPlayer since I did a complete system restore using the linpus dvd, and I couldn't find smplayer in any repositories ( I have rpmfusion, livna, kwizart, and the fedora ones).

Thanks man, I owe you one :)

Jim

UnforgiveN, Apr 16, 2009
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

Nice to hear that! :D

Guest, Apr 17, 2009
  7. Guest

Noodle1975

Cheers installed that, looks a nice player.

Noodle1975, Apr 17, 2009
Ask a Question