snd-usb-audio ? (for midi keyboard)

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Duncan_Rowland, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Duncan_Rowland

Duncan_Rowland

Hi Marathon,
    was it just make and gcc you needed to install (not build-essential)?
    Did you need to build the kernel libs stuff to before you build alsa?
    (I might make a howto if we get this sorted)
    FYI: I put these in my rc.local so they get run on boot, perhaps some of these are needed?

sudo chgrp wheel /dev/video*
    sudo chgrp wheel /dev/sequencer
    sudo chgrp wheel /dev/sequencer2
    sudo chgrp wheel /dev/dsp
    sudo chgrp wheel /dev/mixer
    sudo chgrp wheel /dev/audio
    sudo chgrp wheel /dev/snd
    sudo chgrp wheel /dev/snd/*
    sudo chmod 660 /dev/video*
    sudo chmod 660 /dev/sequencer
    sudo chmod 660 /dev/sequencer2
    sudo chmod 660 /dev/dsp
    sudo chmod 660 /dev/mixer
    sudo chmod 660 /dev/audio
    sudo chmod 770 /dev/snd
    sudo chmod 660 /dev/snd/*

Duncan_Rowland, Sep 6, 2008
  2. Duncan_Rowland

Marathon

Hi Duncan,
    I didn't find build-essential for fedora there is something similar but I don't actually think it was needed (although I did load it). I rebuilt ALSA but I've got a feeling that maybe the problem was just permissions and ownership. I've been changing the permissions of /dev/snd/* to "660" and owner to "user" and this allowed me to get the headset (phones only) working with Skype. The mic still doesn't work for some reason but I'm almost there.

The problem with this type of experimentation is that it's difficult to determine which steps were needed and which weren't.

From memory I didn't follow the full build instructions, I got the kernel sources which I assume got the headers which were missing and preventing me building ALSA. I think I just needed to build ALSA but I've tried so many things in the process I'm forgetting.

Marathon

Marathon, Sep 6, 2008
  3. Duncan_Rowland

Duncan_Rowland

hmm.. I did try and get my headset working with an eeepc ages ago... eventually I had the phones working but I never got the mic working at the same time (only by itself). I think I read somewhere that there might not be enough power in the usb port to drive both the phones and the mic.. seemed unlikely to me, but you never know. So I'm interested to hear how you get on.

Duncan_Rowland, Sep 6, 2008
  4. Duncan_Rowland

Marathon

I (foolishly) allowed the update manager to do its job thinking that the audio driver update might allow my USB mic to work at last. Unfortunately, it's stopped the USB headphones from working (and still no mic!). Back to square one - looks like I'll have to go through the same procedure as before.

Marathon, Sep 10, 2008
Ask a Question