snow leopard my install

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by rory, Oct 1, 2009.

1. rory

jeffers

Note that after installing the ethernet kext i had to run a 'repair permissions' to get samba shares working.

Aside from that pretty much everything's working...except sleep of course. Has anyone got hibernate working instead of sleep?

Jeff

jeffers, Oct 16, 2009
  2. rory

rbm@pt

Thnak's Rory, ;)

This method worked perfectly, and is very easy.
    I had only two minor problems: internal micro and ethernet (but wifi is ok).

rbm@pt, Oct 20, 2009
  3. rory

my2cents

Rory,

I have two questions for you, as I am having no luck installing a retail DVD SL onto my AOA 150 ( ZG5 ).

You are installing onto an AOA 110 right? ( Blue Aspire One; 60GB ZIF ), which should be the same CPU & chipset as mine.

Did you already have 10.5 installed onto your One?

I too am trying netbookmaker, using this method ( http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi3.shtml ), but encounter a kernel panic before the installer will launch ( viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18051 ). I can't even get to the point to try the restore method that worked for you. This seems to work for 10" Ones users, but I have not found any of us with the original Ones that work.

Thanks

my2cents, Oct 21, 2009
  4. rory

nickday

I installed Snow Leopard retail on my Acer 531 (ZG8) yesterday, following these instructions and using NetBookMaker, and it worked fine :)

Installed VoodooHDA with Kext Helper which sorted out the sound, and this morning I have found an Attansic L1E ethernet kext which I think should get the ethernet working (will try later). The wireless doesn't work - I have ordered a Dell 1390 which I will be installing next week.

Now I'd to get either sleep or hibernate sorted out, but from what I've read this seems to be quite difficult/impossible to do.

Nick

nickday, Oct 23, 2009
  5. rory

nickday

Just a follow up from my previous post in case anybody has a 531 too...

The Attansic L1E kext worked fine for the ethernet. My Dell 1390 card arrived, but was too big - turns out I actually need a half-height mini PCI-E card instead. So that one is going back and I've ordered a Dell 1397 card. From my googling I've found out the 1397 is the same card included in the Dell MIni 10v, which works out of the box with OS X, so fingers crossed it will work for me!

Cheers,
    Nick

nickday, Oct 26, 2009
  6. rory

bigplrbear

The netbook maker isn't working for me- it installs perfectly, but when it boots up it gets to the mouse cursor. Then it reboots. :/

bigplrbear, Oct 27, 2009
  7. rory

AK963

Rory, could you explain what partition you're installing to? I'm really confused if you're installing off an internal partition or off an external drive...

AK963, Oct 29, 2009
  8. rory

tarod Guest

Hi fellows !

YES ! it´s possible:
    to install Sl on the Aspire one 150 ZG5,

I used the same method like Rory : http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides

after prepraring the HDD for Dual boot (2 partitions on the int. HDD ),
    everything went smooth and easy - just some little comments:
    - be patient, sometimes the computer needs a little bit of time :)
    - some points in the manual are not 100% up to date (the latest netbookbootmaker is more advanced than the manual)
    - I´ll post an updated manual next week here

that´s the positive side, now the sad part:
    1.) AUDIO:
    I have problems with the voodoo 0.2.2. ( official download for Sl from: http://voodooprojects.org/ )
    Installation was made with the help of KextUtility.v2.3.2dmg
    after installation & adjusting the sound in the OSX control-panel everything worked perfect.
    But after a few hours the audio has gone - now way to get audio back !
    p.s.: I also testet another voodoo - by Thire - he made a good work on the kext, but don´t install his control pane- it will cause trouble on the 150 !

Someone has an idea what happened ?
    just to let you know: before testing another kext, everytime I made a total new installation - to be on the save side !

conecting external USB audio devices: the Behringer USB works perfect !
    the next days I´ll check yamaha, mtunes and some others . . .

2. ETHERNET
    I´m still in it with the RealtekR1000
    but really . . . I can´t see a solution :(
    I NEDD HELP !

3. WIFI
    I ordered the Dell dw1390 card - from a british distributor on ebay - on his product page on ebay you can download the drivers for XP !

4. very SAD :)
    now I´m a hacktintoch junkie - I want to install Logic Audio an some other audio-production tools
    someone has made experience yet ?

5. external monitor

in the control panel of Sl, my extarnal monitor is recogenized, but keeps dark
    someone has made experience yet ?

tarod, Oct 30, 2009
  9. rory

SbM

I'm glad to report I installed SL successfully on my AOA110, using the NetBookBootMaker method. Here's exactly what I did :

1- Followed the how-to at http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi1.shtml, ONLY TOWARDS THE END, after installing the 10.6.1 update, I rebooted normally without typing "-x" and I didn't run NetBookInstaller
    2- Copied my own FrAspireOneSL.keylayout to ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts (so that I get a proper French keyboard layout)
    3- Installed "AboutThisMac.pkg" found in this NetBookCD iso : http://osx.mechdrew.com/downloads/NCD_1.1_snow.iso
    4- Installed "voodooHDA.kext" with Kext Helper (http://web.mac.com/v1.42ghz/Kext_Helper ... r%20b7.zip). I used the .kext from the "voodooHDAwprefpane" package, this one is slightly bigger than the other one, I don't know why
    5- Typed the following commands to get wired ethernet to work:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo find /System/Library/Extensions -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    sudo find /System/Library/Extensions -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
    sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

6. Rebooted. The screen was then 800x600. To fix this I ran NetbookInstaller (http://netbook-installer.googlecode.com ... C3.app.zip) and only checked "Install general extensions".
    7- Rebooted again… done!

What doesn't work:
    *** webcam
    *** sleep/hibernate

What does work:
    *** WiFi : works out of the box with a DW1390-type card
    *** Wired ethernet (including hotplug and all)
    *** SD card : both readers work if the card is inserted before boot (tried voodooSDHC.kext, doesn't help)
    *** audio : works (mic not tested)
    *** ISO french keyboard : OK
    *** About This Mac : OK
    *** USB : OK

Didn't test:
    *** external display

SbM, Nov 3, 2009
  10. rory

bobbyr

First time post here. I've been working with the same scenario and got to the point where I had SL installed and running except for sound. I am a newbie with the kext and I was wandering - when I try a version of VOODOHDA from one source and it doesn't work or it glitches, can I replace it with another version without having to re-install SL?

Thanks.

bobbyr, Nov 4, 2009
  11. rory

lavrishevo

Try using this version, the one labeled 8/24/2009

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofive ... 75372.html

Use Kext helper to install or a similar program.

lavrishevo, Nov 4, 2009
  12. rory

my2cents

SbM - What exactly is "Kext Utility" please. I'm having issues with the voodoohda install :(

my2cents, Nov 5, 2009
  13. rory

SbM

It's in the NCD .iso, if I remember correctly. Simply drag'n'drop your voodooHDA.kext to S/L/E and run Kext Utility.

Alternatively you could use Kext Helper, but I don't know if it's Snow Leopard-compatible so I didn't try.

SbM, Nov 5, 2009
  14. rory

nickday

Kext Helper worked fine with Snow Leopard for me.

Nick

nickday, Nov 5, 2009
  15. rory

SbM

OK, good to know ;)

SbM, Nov 5, 2009
  16. rory

ahovis

Can you give some details as how you went about the upgrade?

ahovis, Nov 11, 2009
  17. rory

AK963

I would assume that you prepare the USB drive following the instructions on the first post. Then boot it and and choose your leopard partition as the install destination.

That's as far as I get, at a 1/3 of the way through the install it fails and says that it can't copy the required support files. :x

AK963, Nov 21, 2009
Ask a Question