Snow Leopard Wired Ethernet problem

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by karmalized, Oct 6, 2009.

1. karmalized

karmalized

Hey all,

I was able to install SL by using the Netbook installer method which seems to have worked like a charm, but I am still having problems with my wired ethernet card, and I was wondering if anyone has had the same problems as I am, and was able to fix it.

When I look in the system profiler, I see valid vendor id, and looking at ifconfig I do not see any problems with weird mac addresses or anything, but when I connect a cable, in the network settings, I get a self subscribed DHCp address (169.xxx.xxx.xxx) but it does show the cable is connected.

I tried installing the kext from leopard (realtekr1000) and as well downloading from Realtek their release (RTGMac V2.0.3) and nothing seems to change this behaviour. I am not seeing anything in the console logger to tell me of any specific errors.

Any help would be appreciated.

karmalized, Oct 6, 2009
  2. karmalized

rory

Same problem here, and people in my thread say the same. Not much to do except wait for a new improved driver.

rory, Oct 6, 2009
  3. karmalized

SP1950

try to make the r1000 kext into an /extra/extensions.mkext (of course wit the dependencies)

That kinda solve the prob 4 me, coz i ain't getting invalid ip anymo when it is not in /s/l/e/

SP1950, Oct 6, 2009
  4. karmalized

karmalized

Hey there,

Well I seem to have gotten it fixed. It seems that just installing the kext and repairing the permissions wasn't enough for me. I had to also perform the following:

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/snow-leokexts-for-netbooks/

I downloaded the kext collection from the web site, and only installed and repaired the permissions for the realtek kext:
    http://prasys.co.cc/wp-content/uploads/ ... k_pack.zip

Then ran these lines:
    sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo find /System/Library/Extensions -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    sudo find /System/Library/Extensions -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
    sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

When I ran permission fix from the disk utilities, I never saw it actually fix any permissions, so I ran the above commands, and upon reboot, the network interface is working perfectly.

Hopefully this will help some of you out there. If it works, please report back here what works and what doesn't.

Jay

karmalized, Oct 6, 2009
  5. karmalized

karmalized

Just an update,

I find after running the above information from my previous post, the keyboard and mouse stop working to the point where the system seems to be frozen. If I go into Disk Utility and run a repair permissions, and reboot, things seem to go back to normal but I sometimes can't get a DHCP assigned IP address again with my wired nick card.

The results are a bit unstable and am trying to find how to get this working properly.

karmalized, Oct 11, 2009
Ask a Question