Software fails to install properly

Discussion in 'Windows' started by riffer, Sep 15, 2009.

1. riffer

riffer

We bought an Aspire One to use as a business computer. We have a home based business and do a lot of craft fairs and trade shows, and we wanted our Aspire to do credit/debit transactions. We tried to install the merchant software, everything went well until after the install, the initial login doesn't work. The same software works on our Gateway laptop and our Ubuntu desktop (using wine). At this point we're at a loss, the merchant software isn't all that new and its well established, its supplied by our bank (TD). Any ideas? OH and its running XP, that all thats been done to it is the removal of Norton and Office trialware.

Right now I'm planning on trying UNR to see if its an OS/software problem. Any other suggestions welcomed.

riffer, Sep 15, 2009
  2. riffer

Forone

Never had a problem installing an XP application on the Acer.
    . Be sure you've done all Windows Updates from the Microsoft site.
    . If you had Norton installed (mine came with McAfee) go the Norton site and use the online Norton Removal Tool.
    . If the TD software is still installed, remove it with Revo Uninstaller (advanced - complete removal)
    . I also run CCleaner file and registry cleaner after removing large software applications, ran it on my new Acer on first use and it found a lot of useless stuff.
    . Defrag the disk
    . Log in as administrator
    . Install the software again.
    . reboot XP whether the software asks for it or not.
    . run CCleaner file/registry modes again to get rid of useless installation muck from the software

Forone, Sep 15, 2009
  3. riffer

riffer

Thanks for the reply. Tried everything you suggested but still no go. Going to try using an external cdrom drive and see if that works. If that doesn't will try UNR and if that doesn't work we'll see about taking it back.

Thanks again.

riffer, Sep 16, 2009
Ask a Question