Software hack for fanless AA1

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by casainho, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casainho

casainho

casainho, Aug 15, 2008
  2. casainho

glibdud

Re: Potential solution for fanless AA1

Altered the title slightly, at least until more research is done.

(Locked topic... will be stickied)
    ((After further thought, moving to Hacks and Mods))

glibdud, Aug 15, 2008
  3. casainho

jimduchek

You know the PHC kernel patch (https://www.dedigentoo.org/trac/linux-phc/) works for this processor. You'll have to patch and recompile your kernel, but it worked for me with no modifications. I was able to undervolt the processor quite a bit at 1600mhz and during a stress test the temperature of the processor dropped by over 10 degrees C over stock voltage. (Minor modification to the coretemp module required if you want to see temps). It looks like the Atom has the same deal as the Core 2 processors -- you can't use the PHC to undervolt any of the speed settings to a voltage less than the lowest 'stock' voltage (the one for 800 mhz in our case). 1.6 ghz wasn't stable that low anyway, and using the 'ondemand' cpufreq setting, it's only at 800 mhz when it's idle anyway and dropping the voltage probably wouldn't affect battery life a whole lot anyway.

At any rate, my fan hardly ever kicks on now. YMMV.

jimduchek, Aug 17, 2008
  4. casainho

casainho

Thank you :- ) -- can you please explain better what have you done? What is the new lower voltage that you are using? -- I am not expert... and I would like to test and finally write it on wiki.

Please let's continue on main thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=300&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=110#p8924

Can someone please lock this thread??

casainho, Aug 17, 2008
  5. casainho

jimduchek

I'm not sure what else to say -- the URL posted contains everything needed to do it, and a link to the patch sources. I'd guess that recompiling a kernel under Linpus isn't an option -- I'm not sure what options need to be enabled in the config for an easy Ubuntu recompile -- I've never used Ubuntu. 'gzip -cd /proc/config.gz' would be a good start for the .config assuming Ubuntu's kernel has that option compiled in. PM me if you need help writing detailed instructions.

jimduchek, Aug 17, 2008
  6. casainho

glibdud

Must have gotten unlocked when it got stickied. Relocking. Please use referenced threads for discussion.

glibdud, Aug 18, 2008
Ask a Question