Software Installer Broken

Discussion in 'Linux' started by wired, Sep 25, 2008.

1. wired

wired

Hi Everyone,

I've installed ntfs-3g and a few other packages (latex, joe, etc.) on a fresh recovery of Acer Linpus. Now When I try to use the "Software Installer" from the GUI, I get a "maximum recursion depth exceeded" from python. I know what this error means, but I'm not sure how I broke the system-install-package script. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

wired, Sep 25, 2008
  2. wired

Fuerst

Hi, I seem to have got the same problem. unfortunately all my efforts to report that bug to Redhat have failed

I think it happened when trying to install an audacity rpm downloaded

unfortunately nobody seems to have an answer.,... how to repair without re-installation of the complete system

Fuerst, Sep 25, 2008
  3. wired

wired

Fuerst - annoying, isn't it!

I'm wondering if it had to do with ntfs-3g. I just noticed it updated the stock kernel (should've been playing attention. No more yum -y) when I installed ntfs-3g with yum. Could this be the problem? Updated kernel breaking other things?

I removed and re-installed pirut and that didn't fix it. <Sigh> looks like I'm reimaging the disk and compiling ntfs-3g from the sources and keeping the kernel stock.

wired, Sep 25, 2008
  4. wired

sideways

set up the new fedora repositories, they were created recently after a security problem

Code:
    sudo yum install fedora-release

sideways, Sep 26, 2008
  5. wired

wired

Thanks for the tip, sideways!

I've already done that, however, and system-install-package still gives a recursion error. I tried disabling all non-standard repositories as well (livna and remi) and still a no-go. Any other ideas?

wired, Sep 26, 2008
Ask a Question