Software Update Error

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by thrill76, Aug 18, 2008.

1. thrill76

thrill76

Hey all!

New to Linux, had my aspire one for a few days now and loving it. However, I seem to have hit a wall, when I try to perform system updates, this is what I see:[attachment=0:3jo6ubv7]Screenshot.png[/attachment:3jo6ubv7]

Please Help!!! How do I resolve this? It happens when I try to add any packages as well.

Many Thanks!!

thrill76, Aug 18, 2008
  2. thrill76

thrill76

C'mon, someone out there, please?!?! I'm stuck!! Thanks again!

thrill76, Aug 18, 2008
  3. thrill76

JimK

It may be because the Fedora repositories have been down for the past several days. You should avoid using the package manager till they're back online. Fedora Project team hasn't said why they're down, but it appears to be hackers.

Hopefully, somebody will post something on the forums when they're back.

JimK, Aug 18, 2008
  4. thrill76

thrill76

Thank you, but it appears that they are back up, however I am still getting the same message. Any help would be great. New to linux, wanting to learn more, but I seem to have hit a wall.

thrill76, Aug 18, 2008
  5. thrill76

clairvaux

This has been bugging me for a few days now as well.

Question: has anyone EVER gotten the package updater to work?

Between this problem, and the problem with opening files from the search function... I am not a big fan of Acer's Linpus at all. I hope someone is working on optimizing the ubuntu netbook remix.

clairvaux, Aug 19, 2008
  6. thrill76

thrill76

Still no help?

thrill76, Aug 20, 2008
  7. thrill76

palingenesis

this happens to me alot. it usually means the software is not compatible or you have other packages needed to download that one

palingenesis, Aug 20, 2008
  8. thrill76

clairvaux

Yeah, but this is on a fresh install with default settings.

clairvaux, Aug 21, 2008
  9. thrill76

Bob D

I have the same problem, I've just contacted Acer support by email, let's hope they have a solution! I'll post any replies I get from them here (if they are of any help!)

Bob

Bob D, Aug 21, 2008
  10. thrill76

thrill76

Yeah, keep me in the loop, I have been combing google trying to find an answer, coming up with nothing thus far, ARGH!!!!

thrill76, Aug 21, 2008
  11. thrill76

Rofa

Well I have the same updates and the same problem today as your screenshot shows. Strange thing is that a couple of days ago there were only 2 updates showing and installing them was no problem - this long list however is something else. I deselected them all and still got the error message - so maybe it is something to do with the server???

Rofa, Aug 23, 2008
  12. thrill76

Nudnik_de

Onlineupdate (Live Update) regularly works fine. The Package Update (pup) seems to be a second version of updater. Has anybody been able to solve the missing dependencies in pup?

Nudnik_de, Aug 23, 2008
  13. thrill76

Bob D

As promised I'm reporting what I heard from Acer Support. I emailed them a few days about the "unable to resolve dependencies" problem,even with a new out-of-the-box machine, and the reply was:

"The issue you have described is one of a software related nature." Then I was advised to contact Acer support in France (where I live). I don't know if that's ANY help for anyone....I suppose you should contact Acer support in your country.

Anyway, after being lost with Linpus for several days, unable to update software due to the well-known dependencies problem, as well as lots of little things I just didn't have the patience to work out, I finally installed Ubuntu (with which I was familiar), ordered 1gig ram, and I am very VERY happy with this neat little machine now!!!! I just love it.

Bob D, Aug 24, 2008
  14. thrill76

Rofa

The UK e-mail support was unhelpful. I would have to call them since they would like to charge me for the call!

Rofa, Aug 24, 2008
  15. thrill76

Nudnik_de

I deinstalled the original Firefox and reinstalled Firefox 2.0.16 from RPMfind.net. Now I only have dependency conflict with notification damon. Hope to solve that the next days. I don't know if this also works with firefox 3.

Be careful with this because with the deinstallation a lot of other dependecies are deinstalled as well, i.e. thunar. If you reinstall thunar all the fency icons are gone and you only have the pure standard xfce thunar remaining

Nudnik_de, Aug 27, 2008
  16. thrill76

thrill76

This is so frustrating :evil: , I am really starting to think I should have waited for the xp version of this machine, I love all that it does, but this is rediculous. Anyone out there that can shed some light on fixing this??!?!?!

thrill76, Aug 27, 2008
  17. thrill76

rjm

The package updater is for Fedora, the full default version. You aren't expected to use it with Linpus. Linpus updates through the liveupdate utitlity found in the settings tab.

When you think about it, it not surprising that it doesnt work... it not configured for the OS you are running!

rjm, Aug 28, 2008
Ask a Question