Software Updater

Discussion in 'Linux' started by klvn, Jul 22, 2008.

1. klvn

klvn

I've ran the software updater (package updater) but I've always came across this problem. I got the error:

notification-daemon-xfce conflicts with notify-daemon
    Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.16 is needed by package yelp

I'm new to linux so I'm not sure what this means and how I can address this problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated =)

klvn, Jul 22, 2008
  2. klvn

komodo

Hi, I got that problem too, and I suspect everybody would if they'd update.
    In any case, I found a way around that, but I have encountered a much bigger problem: there are packages on this system (linpus) that have conflicts with other, upstream packages. Examples are firefox which is tailored for the one and conflicts with the upstream update that yum is trying to get for you, and the notifier "notification-daemon-xfce" which conflicts with notify-daemon. I expect more problems with updating. So, it seems that the people at acer/linpus did not expect people to actually want to update their system and did not bother to resolve dependencies within their own servers. Rather they'd let you figure out to enable development repos in yum, only to find out that the custom software in the acer conflicts with the very updates you try to install using the linpus live update utility.

As a result, I am going to install fedora (as it is the base distro for linpus). If I don't like that, I'll install Arch.

komodo, Jul 29, 2008
Ask a Question