Software updater

Discussion in 'Linux' started by basily, Nov 15, 2008.

1. basily

basily

I got such a quick helpful response to my last question, I'll try again. I'm quite new to linux, but very keen to learn.

I routinely run "Live Update" to get updates from Acer, but I'm wondering about the "Software updater". Is it safe to run this? Are there any special considerations before I do run it? Someone will probably tell me to backup my computer, so what backup program is recommended for a novice linux user.

Thanks again,

Basil

basily, Nov 15, 2008
  2. basily

Grim Squeaker

The software updater incorrectly assumes your system contains a normal fedora distribution.
    Since Acer Linpus is a heavily modified version with custom packages, letting software updater do its thing is quite likely to break several things, like the mail and messenger programs and the wifi connection.

So - I'd recommend not using it.

Grim Squeaker, Nov 16, 2008
  3. basily

greenyaris

That has not been my experience. I would expect the software to be robust enough to withstand a software update test, otherwise I would consider the updater button should have been inhibited. The results I get are that after downloading and updating and installing a message is splashed saying " Error updating software" and it details the errors which are mainly conflicts.

greenyaris, Nov 16, 2008
  4. basily

basily

That's what I thought Grim Squeaker, thanks.

greenyaris, actually the updater button IS inhibited until you start to customize your AA1.

OK, so how do you update your various programs on your system?

basily, Nov 20, 2008
Ask a Question