Software Updates and Linpus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Technomancer, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Technomancer

Technomancer

Hi. I've got a ZG5 on Linpus and my wife has been using it for a couple of years now but it can't handle the internet anymore because Firefox is out of date.

I have considered attempting to install Windows XP but there's not enough memory.

I've now got hold of it and I will re-install the Linpus from the original CD. This is where I need help. It appears that in order to update some of the software and install other stuff I need the Root Users' Password.

I would also like to learn more about Linpus/Linux but I just can NOT find any of the info I want. I want to get hold of a Linpus User Manual but even Acer can't seem to help me. It would be nice if Acer supported it's products to let people actually use them. I could claim that my AA1 is not fit for the purpose but since it's a couple of years old, so I'm stuck with Linpus.

So.
    What is the Root Users' Password? and,
    Where can I get a Linpus user manual to download?.

Technomancer, Dec 6, 2011
  2. Technomancer

ElCheapo

You know it...

The root password is the same as the one you defined for your user.

ElCheapo, May 11, 2012
  3. Technomancer

PCNetSpec

Seriously .. forget Linpus Lite it's based on Fedora core 8 which reached "end of life" ages ago, so Linpus Lite receives no software or security updates, and makes you jump through hoops to install any new software .. install Peppermint instead, which is as "light" as Linpus, but is more up-to-date, it has access to all the latest software, and rightly or wrongly has an interface similar to Windows.

Tutorial here:
    http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=9782.0
    And requests for help WILL be answered on that forum.

But if you MUST stick with Linpus .. there's a tutorial for installing Firefox 7.0.1 (the latest version to work in Linpus) and the latest flashplayer (11) here:
    http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=9707.0

HTH

[EDIT]

In Linpus Lite -
    For root permission, either prefix the command with sudo then use your user password
    or try 111111 as the root password.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
    PCNetSpec, May 11, 2012
  4. Technomancer

mylittleacer

I installed Linux Mint on my ZG5 and its working really great. Only issue is that the card readers won't work for some reason but thats something I can live with.

mylittleacer, May 18, 2012
  5. Technomancer

PCNetSpec

The fix for the card reader in Peppermint should also work for Mint, Ubuntu, or any other Ubuntu based distribution.

They are documented in the Peppermint tutorial linked in my last posting.

Or direct link here:
    http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=9782.msg70080#msg70080

IMHO, Mint and Ubuntu are slightly too heavy for the AOA110L (aka. ZG5) .. Peppermint is lighter, but as it's still based on Ubuntu, it's just a better fit .. but that's just my opinion ;)

Last edited: May 18, 2012
    PCNetSpec, May 18, 2012
  6. Technomancer

mylittleacer

I have the hard drive version and I have also added extra RAM. I am going to try the card reader fix. I have been using a USB card reader as a workaround but will be great to get the original working again.

mylittleacer, May 19, 2012
  7. Technomancer

PCNetSpec

I still prefer Peppermint .. though granted with an HDD that would just be personal prefference ;)

Good luck with the card reader fix .. which should work in Mint .. it does in Ubutnu and Peppermint, and Mint is based on Ubuntu (as is Peppermint).

PCNetSpec, May 19, 2012
  8. Technomancer

mylittleacer

Hi, reporting back: I installed your fix on my acer ZG5 hard drive version (1.5ram), running linux mint julia where both card reader slots have been inactive since I changed Linpus for Mint.
    Both reader slots now function with an SD 8Gb card, the right reader also functions with a SD128Mb card but gives a message ( error mounting: mount: /dev/mmcblk0p1:cant read superblock ) when i try this card in the left hand slot. My XD card isn't detected by the right hand slot, but this might be a contacts issue. (I'm not complaining, its major progress but just giving a full report).

mylittleacer, May 29, 2012
  9. Technomancer

RockDoctor

I run Fedora 16 LXDE spin on my ZG5. It's reasonably light, and I just happen to prefer Fedora over other distros. Although I haven't noticed any problems with the card SD slots, my largest card is only 8MB. Once upon a time, Ubuntu kernels needed an extra parameter on the kernel line in the bootloader to force loading of the appropriate module to allow recognition of an SD card inserted after booting. I don't know if this is still the case.

xD cards are a different matter. The ZG5 uses a Jmicron multicard reader. There's a driver for that reader that works with the Linux kernel used by the Linpus Lite version (2.6.18, if I recall correctly) that came with the ZG5, but the driver was not accepted by the Linux kernel maintainers and does not work with newer kernels - it would compile for me, but would not work when loaded. If I need to read an xD card, I just use a USB card reader. Not an optimal solution, but I can live with it.

RockDoctor, Jun 1, 2012
  10. Technomancer

dodgeydave

Confirmed: Works well with Lubuntu.

Hi.

Long time PC and laptop user, but relative newbie with Linux, though I've messed a little in the past with it, (and FreeBSD also.)

Anyway. A recent acquisisiton of a virtualy as new Acer One ZG5 (Blue 16Gssd + 1Gram) at a *Very* good price, with all the bits and box too! Has set me off on a road of discovery, again.

The preinstalled Linpus Lite, as many have found, is seriously hog-tied these days, and as I got bored walking through reams of dependancy issues when trying to install what I want it for, after a little research, I loaded Lubuntu on it, following these instructions.
    https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Lubuntu_installation

Have to say, the whole operation was virtualy painless, other than the usual Debian related questions, it went on with no fuss whatsoever.

Even the WiFi worked first time with my maximum length key, and it found and let me configure my LAN connected printer too.

But... I found the two card slots were not working. And that's how I found my way here.

I can confirm, that this does work OK on Lubuntu, plus it has also enabled use of the Left card slot as well, so deep joy again.

I went with Lubuntu, on others recomendations, as what I want to run (Ham Radio software, "Fldigi") is known to work fine on Deb/Ubuntu flavored 'nix's.

This little gem also now recognises all my USB<>Serial devices too (Yes RS232 is still alive and kicking) so even better. And run's that software superbly, at least, for the modes I want.

One remaining question however, and not sure if it's an easy "fix". But it run's much warmer than with Linpus, and the battery life is much shorter (about half of what it was.)

I do know from experience and experiment with different OS's on another laptop, where I have to power it from a lab/bench supply, that typicaly running XP (SP3) just sitting at the desktop, no app's running, it would consume between about 1 and 1.5A (THIS IS NOT THE ACER ONE! Before anyone shouts!...)

Running any recent Linux (I've tried several) either installed or live boot CD's, the same machine consumes over 2A, just sitting there.

So....

What background tweaks and adjustments are there within Linux, to cool things down a bit, without seriously affecting the overall performance. Or, is it just "what it is" until someone does in the 'nix kernel, whatever MS do in 'doze, re power management and CPU dynamic speed control? Or is another distro' better at this?

I've tried the settings I can find (Power options etc)

AFICT, the hotspot in the Acer 1, is running at 47'C, so not overall too bad. That using the command line:-
    cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

It returns "47000"

Have to say, other than that, Lubuntu "Fits" the machine well. Even it's default colour scheme suits. :) And as all the periphials (including webcam) "just work" now. Brilliant.

Cheers All, and thanks for the info so far.

Dave.

dodgeydave, Aug 1, 2012
Ask a Question