Solar Charger/Adaptor

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by loopyoyo, Sep 18, 2008.

1. loopyoyo

loopyoyo

Just wondering if anyone has tinkered with the idea of using a solar panel to charge/power the AAO. I know there are some projects out there for EEE's but haven't seen anything on the one yet. WOuld like to hear yourguys thoughts and input

Loop :geek:

loopyoyo, Sep 18, 2008
  2. loopyoyo

flamingswrd

I'm not an expert on circuitry...but I know the following exist:
    Portable size solar panels (~$70 for 3"x6" I think)
    USB Components
    Wire
    Resistors, Capacitors.

Anyone that knows enough about circuitry could slap something together to charge it by USB. I have seen designs in magazines, so yes it is possible.

flamingswrd, Sep 18, 2008
  3. loopyoyo

JonB256

What is the output voltage of the supplied charger? It is a "single voltage" power connector, so a solar panel just needs to output something greater (but not too much unless you want to add a voltage regulator) than that voltage.

So, anyone measure the output voltage? and is it Negative tip or Positive tip?
    (I'm not at home to look, but it very possible says right on the power brick)

JonB256, Sep 24, 2008
  4. loopyoyo

olavxxx

Hi, the supplied charger is 19V.
    It has + in the centre.

olavxxx, Sep 24, 2008
  5. loopyoyo

gordon1

This would take a tremendous amount of effort to pull off. Since each cell generates about .5v you would need about 38 cells wired in series that would get no where near to the 1.5amps these computers need. I would really freaking hard and it would be very big and impossible to carry around.

However, since the battery is only 10.8v (3 lithium cells in series) you could possibly find a way to only input power to the charge circuit, but I don not know how much initial voltage that needs, so this may not work either. :lol:

gordon1, Sep 25, 2008
  6. loopyoyo

flamingswrd

A charger is certainly in the realm of this project...it might take longer than normal, but if your not anywhere near a power outlet it could be a good thing.

flamingswrd, Sep 25, 2008
  7. loopyoyo

bit-ninja

I live in Houston, Texas and I just had to live ten days without power from Hurricane Ike.

So, I have been thinking about this a lot...

The AC Adapter puts out 19V @ 1.58A which is about 30 watts. I know the AAO may not require that much current/power all the time (it will probably draw less when it does not need to charge the battery).

A product like this http://www.21st-century-goods.com/page/21st/PROD/SPT/GSE25 would not have enough power. Just looking at bare panels in general, it seems they get less portable and more expensive when you try to reach the 30 watts. I think running the AAO completely on solar power would be difficult to make portable.

Just charging may be a different matter. I may have to spend some more time looking into this before the next storm!

bit-ninja, Sep 25, 2008
  8. loopyoyo

protovision

This thread sounds really interesting, hope we can keep it going, and come up with something. The top cover/back of lcd is just crying out to be modded :)

What about just a solar trickle charger, for the battery, as was earlier suggested, but instead bypass the AC charging circuit, and just trickle right into the battery itself, through the connector or internal connection point, do-able? (I'm basing this on those cheap automotive solar chargers that you leave on the dashboard, no circuitry (I think, reverse-blocking diode probably), and attaches right to the battery.

Depending on the panels, might take approx 6-12 hrs to fully charge, or another thought, the panels could be enough to power the hacks people are adding (gps, tuners, etc, +5v @ 500ma right?).

I'm not trying to run the PC directly off solar (2m panel, anyone:) ), just extend battery life. I think it would be very cool to shutdown the AA1, and when you come back 2 hrs later, there's *more power* than when you left if.

I have dome some simple DC circuits, but some advice as to potential gotchas in my above plan, as well any sources for different size solar panels would be great!

EDIT: these sound cool, but I don't think are usable, and might be just marketing hype:
    http://www.partsonsale.com/solarcells.html

p.

protovision, Oct 7, 2008
  9. loopyoyo

flamingswrd

flamingswrd, Oct 7, 2008
  10. loopyoyo

toalan

Lithium batteries are dangerous to fool around with, the charging voltage has to be very precise or you risk the battery bursting in flames. Other types of batteries are much more forgiving than lithium ion batteries.

toalan, Oct 12, 2008
  11. loopyoyo

flamingswrd

Whoops...forgot about the whole "burst into flames, and burn down your house" part... :D

flamingswrd, Oct 12, 2008
  12. loopyoyo

Byte_wize

OR use a beta-ray nuclear battery, it will last for years and is safe. It just costs a mill. :p

Byte_wize, Oct 21, 2008
  13. loopyoyo

gordon1

Oh my god boys, put the pocket protectors away. Lithium's are not that dangerous. Buy a protection circuit and a charging circuit and they will not explode. However, this project is still not practical. The panel would have to be huge in order to pump out enough juice. as for the one designed for a backpack, it will not work.

The one sucks a lot of power when it comes to solar energy. certainly something that is portable and will charge it is not possible. The idea is to have something nice and small to charge with, but that wont happen... end of discussion.

gordon1, Oct 27, 2008
  14. loopyoyo

flamingswrd

With today's technology, nope. It should be plausible when they up the technology. Besides, running and charging are two different things. A charger would be plausible (not efficient).

flamingswrd, Oct 27, 2008
  15. loopyoyo

Joe Harper

[​IMG]
    I have a laptop bag that has a built in charging system. i received it at a trade show that i attended in which HP was giving them out. the bag is made by Voltaic it has a charge pack that can output to 3.5V, 5V and 7V however the direct output from the panels is between 10V and 12V when in direct sunlight. i have an iGo adapter that is for powering my laptop on airplanes and in the car. it requires 11V to operate. when i am in direct sunlight i am able to charge my laptop (All be it slowly.)

If i had one more panel on the front of my bag i could do it no sweat. the company (Voltaic) has a bag model that is called the Generator that has an output capable of pulling this off without a hitch. However that bag is like 500 - 600 dollars US.

Lots of luck to all of you! :)

-Joe Harper

Joe Harper, Oct 27, 2008
  16. loopyoyo

dattaway

Just use any common lithium ion protection circuit. They just clamp down on any voltage trying to go over 4.2 volts.

Size the solar panel to be 60 watts. Full sunlight is not always a luxury. Not exactly something that will fit in most backpacks...

dattaway, Oct 27, 2008
  17. loopyoyo

flamingswrd

To Joe, nice bag and an excellent demonstration of concept (proof actually...).

Now we just need to rip one apart, document its components and make one on the cheap for college students, children, adults, etc. $100 for power anywhere seems reasonable...

Update: They are cheaper than you think...
    http://www.voltaicsystems.com/bag_messenger.shtml
    About $300 for a nice sized messenger.

flamingswrd, Oct 28, 2008
  18. loopyoyo

bit-ninja

I found elsewhere in the forums that the One draws about 9 watts when idle (battery fully charged) up to the full 30 watts when it is being used and charging. So the power needs fluctuate depending on what you are doing and if the battery needs charging. Coupled with the fact that solar panels fluctuate in power output during the day, how could you be sure to provide enough power to work uninterrupted?

Power Consumption
    9Watts - 30Watts (or)
    0.5A - 1.53A (@19V)

Say watching a video consumes something like 20 watts. If the battery is fully charged and I have a solar panel that can easily provide that much power (~1A@19V), would I be able to watch continuously without ever draining the battery? Or would the circuitry just not work if the full 1.58A is not available?

Does anybody know how this would work?

bit-ninja, Oct 28, 2008
Ask a Question