solar panel charger for aa1

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by utonto, Jun 15, 2009.

1. utonto

utonto

hi,

i'd like to buy a small solar panel which is able to charge my aspire one 110 when it is switched off.
    on ebay i found this one:2w solar panel.
    i know that that panel is quite small to charge aa1 when it is on, but maybe it could charge the battery when switched off. am i completely wrong?
    thanks

utonto, Jun 15, 2009
  2. utonto

DutchDK

The input voltage expected by the AAO is 19 volts DC, and 1.58 ampere according to the print on the powersupply unit.
    Since the AAO is using Li-Ion technology, you can't tricklecharge it, like you can with Lead-Acid, Ni-Cad or Ni-Mh batteries. Li-Ion batteries require a strict and controlled recharge cyclus, which is controlled by the logic in the charging circuits both on the AAO and in the battery controller.

Furthermore, the output of the listed solar panel is only 12 voit, and the supply is only 0.16 ampere (Volt * Ampere = Watt, so 2 Watts / 12 Volt = 0.16 Amp) - Even if you could trickle-charge Li-Ion batteries, it would take more than a day at full sunshine to charge your AAO battery.

More info on charging Li-Ion batteries can be found here : http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

DutchDK, Jun 15, 2009
  3. utonto

Indiana_Geoff

You would need something more like this...

http://www.goldengadgets.com/Solar-Powe ... _info.html

It has a solar cell, battery and the ability to take power from the wall. This one is a cell phone charger, but you would really need something with a battery that could store energy for a long time then put it into the netbook with enough speed to be usable.

Indiana_Geoff, Jun 19, 2009
Ask a Question